• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Chesse cake too dear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My daughter is making a chesse cake at school next week and has been told that its going to be £5 to make it! I think this is toooo dear as there in is 30 kids and if all of them pay £5 thats £150!!

Mary

£5 is a lot! Surely it can't cost anywhere near that to make a cheesecake. Pkt of biscuits, some butter, fruit etc, where are they buying the ingredients? Harrods?

Bet the teachers are going out for a drink after the lesson! She will find out Monday if she is doing the chesse cake as they are having a vote. Told her I will ring the school and have words, but my daughter dosent want me to give my name out!

Mary

Are they going to be making a cheesecake each or one to share? Even one each £5 sounds too much, you could buy a really nice one for that.

However, my mum used to refuse to send me to school with ingredients to make what she called foreign food (pizza ::)) and it was very embarrassing so think carefully before giving your name to the school, I do sympathise with your daughter, it's 25 years later and I can still remember the shame ...... ;D

kayjay said:
Are they going to be making a cheesecake each or one to share? Even one each £5 sounds too much, you could buy a really nice one for that.

However, my mum used to refuse to send me to school with ingredients to make what she called foreign food (pizza ::)) and it was very embarrassing so think carefully before giving your name to the school, I do sympathise with your daughter, it's 25 years later and I can still remember the shame ...... ;D

I wont let them know my name! I wouldnt do that to her!

I know exactly how you feel Mary, i think we had to pay £2.50 for tasha's cheesecake when she made it and i thought even that was alot. I get so annoyed with school and the prices they want for the things they make!

A friend of mine last year refused to pay, bought her daughter all of the ingrediants for the cakes they were making, i cant remember how much she payed but she bought flour, castor sugar, eggs and marg. She then weighed out and sent the right ingrediants for her daughter to use with a letter and the receipt for the things that she bought, her argument being that the total cost for all ingrediants was for example £2.20, but if you work out the cost of what is actually being used it came to about 70p for the ingredients and they wanted £2.50! Hope that made sense! I think you can send in your own ingrediants if you want to and its worth it coz it works out much cheaper!

Julie

When I was bairn ::)
We used to simply take our own ingredients in with us, we'd be given the recipe the week before.
I agree £5.00 does seem an awful lot, if anything you would have imagined the ingredients to be a little cheaper if bought through the school?

Barbara

Will do Julie, not paying £5 for a chesse cake! If I wanted to pay that much I will go M&S!

mine take ingrediants in and they were suppose to make sushie and I said I know I live by the sea but there aint no way I'm going to be sending in seaweed that was in the ingrediants but luckly they all get different ingrediants to take in, and the teacher got the seaweed theya red oing foreign food and has so far made chilli falafals or soem thing like that spag bol pizza etc

My son made fruit scones a couple of weeks ago and all he needed was a tupperware container to carry them home in. He is making minestrone soup next week so needs a flask. went to morris the other day and had to pay £5.99 for one! :oWe need one anyway so I suppose it will come in handy for the picnics and if we do a car boot sale next spring. 8)

Thats expensive!

I sort and collect money for our students who cook once a week. We charge £10 a term so £30 for the years course well 32 weeks in atcual class. This covers all ingredients/containers...

So far we have made various sandwiches, hot snacks, crumble, pasta, a splendid choc cake, sponge puds, jackets and fillings. Got pizzas, curry, veggie bakes, christmas and easter coffee and cake mornings, smoothies, soups, cheesecake, various cakes, next week is veggie/meat burgers and homemade fat free potato wedges. Any left over money goes towards an end of term picnic.

I dont think its bad for a years ingredients, yet I'm still waiting for several to pay up ::)

We tried paying £1 a week but never got any money. This seems better students/parents have choice of paying one off or every term. Lots of our students and their families are on low incomes/benefits so I try to be a flexible as poss, more paperwork but more student friendly!

But the chasing/letters i have to keep sending ::) I honestly try to keep coast low like £30 catering and £12 safety boots. The caretakers found a box of unwanted safety boots the other day - let me have them as they know I'm always trying to sub students!

They are moaning now as we plan to take the students shopping so they can learn to budget/shop for themselves ::) wait til they find out how to use a washing machine and ironing is on the scheme of work :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back