• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Chew sticks

JunePiggies19

*photo competition winner*
Reaction score
For Christmas I bought my guinea pigs a bundle of chew toys and by far their favourite were these sticks. They've almost demolished them all now and this may sound like a silly question but can they just chew sticks from the ground outside? I'm not sure during the current circumstances whether I can go out and buy any for them. The sticks seem to be the only chew toys they like, they don't really touch anything else.

Only certain types of sticks are safe - Apple tree and will branches are safe for them but you need to be sure of what you are getting, you can’t just pick up anything from the ground

Only certain types of sticks are safe - Apple tree and will branches are safe for them but you need to be sure of what you are getting, you can’t just pick up anything from the ground
Thank you! I have two apple trees in my back garden so I will cut a few twigs off them to tide them over til I can get to a pet store :)

you could also occasionally give your guinea pigs some leaves from your apple tree as a treat. mine love them👍👍

I don't know if this is the case for guinea pigs but for gerbils you have to sterilise the wood first by either boiling it in some water or heating it in the oven in case of any nasties lurking on the wood.

Back