• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Chewed through cooling pad

rp1993

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
Bought the boys a gel cooling pad, it arrived yesterday, I put some fleece over it but they have chewed through it and the gel leaked.. I feel awful I shouldn’t have left them with it it’s just been so hot I thought I was doing something nice for them.

Has anyone had any experience of their piggies chewing through these things? It was ment for dog and was pressure activated, both pigs seem absolutely fine this morning popcorning and wondering why I’m cleaning their cage rather than making breakfast, I just feel awful and will obviously be keeping an eye on them.

Bought the boys a gel cooling pad, it arrived yesterday, I put some fleece over it but they have chewed through it and the gel leaked.. I feel awful I shouldn’t have left them with it it’s just been so hot I thought I was doing something nice for them.

Has anyone had any experience of their piggies chewing through these things? It was ment for dog and was pressure activated, both pigs seem absolutely fine this morning popcorning and wondering why I’m cleaning their cage rather than making breakfast, I just feel awful and will obviously be keeping an eye on them.

Gel pads are unfortunately rather a hazard around guinea pigs unless they are wrapped up firmly enough so they can't get at the plastic.

Best make sure that you create safe pouches for them or switch to freezable cooling elements.

Gel pads are unfortunately rather a hazard around guinea pigs unless they are wrapped up firmly enough so they can get at the plastic.

Best make sure that you create safe pouches for them or switch to freezable cooling elements.
Yes learnt that the hard way! We have cooler blocks and little fleece covers for them so I will be sticking to those from now on!

Low tech is often better for guinea pigs, a frozen mineral water bottle in a sock is what my lot get!
They have one of those too! Lucky the pad wasn’t expensive and doesn’t seem to have effected them!

Back