• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Chilly Tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine114

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My boys are inside, in a hutch in a centrally heated conservatory. The heating stays on all night with the radiators individually set in each room, so they just come on as needed. Tonight it's -2.5*C and I'm a bit worried about what to do for the best. The heating will stay on, and so far they have been warm and toasty. The bed end of the hutch is full of hay so they can burrow down in and they snuggle up together. Should I do anything extra tonight? I've got a thermal hutch cover, and also fleece blankets. Should I cover the bed end at least? But I don't want them to get hot.... I can't decide what to do - at the moment the conservatory is the same temp as the rest of our house, the floor feels cold if you are barefoot but the air temp is warm enough to be out there without feeling cold if that makes sense....

Piggies ideal temperature is 16-26 celsius. If you feel cold, they will too. If you feel hot they will too. Obviously -2.5 celsius is too cold for them. But as you have the heating on in their room what temperature will this result in? I wouldn't worry about the floor being cold to your bare foot as they are not on the floor.

You can always try and make a little burrowing "nest" out of the fleece you have. It would be like a doggy bed, but they can also burrow inside of it. You have the heater on and that seems fine, but the burrowing "nest" could be a just-in-case thing, because if it does get cold... If you've been outside on a very chilly day, you probably understand how they would feel. Good luck! =)

I think a good thing to do would be to monitor the temperature in the conservatory and go from there. Perhaps have a thermometer in the hutch? If the central heating is good in the conservatory then I'd just monitor and see if it holds its temperature.

I think a good thing to do would be to monitor the temperature in the conservatory and go from there. Perhaps have a thermometer in the hutch? If the central heating is good in the conservatory then I'd just monitor and see if it holds its temperature.

I agree - I used to have my boys in the shed and the temp in the shed and the temp in the hutch were totally different - you will probably find the hutch is a lot more toasty than the conservatory and if you have something snuggly for them in the hutch that will make them even more toasty. Sounds like you are doing the right things! :)

Thanks all, I put some more hay in and turned the radiator up a bit, and it felt fine in there this morning, both pigs running about happy! I do need to get a thermometer, but for now I think the heating must be good, as DH said, it's part of the house central heating, it's a good radiator and a good boiler so if it keeps us warm then they will be fine! think I worry more about the pigs than us haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back