• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Chinchillas

Status
Not open for further replies.

amaya

New Born Pup
Reaction score
It has been determined that there is nothing cuter than Katsu.

Except maybe Sakura

and her little cagemate Keck

Not pictures is Katsu's beige cagemate and Keck and Sakura's new tan cagemate.

Currently in process are the chinchilla palaces. Aside from more wood items and shelves there are plans to build a second one and give each group that entire area of 2' wide, 4' high, 6' long or 61 x 121 x 183 cm.

Wow, I knew they were cute but those are stunning! Yes, I'd also love to know how they compare to guineas?!

They are far more sensitive and active. Sadly they are not that good to cuddle with despite being so soft. Every moment they are out of their cage you are shifting them around or getting a split second to pet them as they bounce in a secured room. Unless you keep them busy for a minute with treats. The main opinion in the US is not to feed them any fresh food because their digestive tracts are so sensitive. There are a few who disagree. I slip a few bites of guinea pig veggies to them and Katsu stole a small chunk of apple once and devoured it before he could be caught. They are certainly not dead. I've never even noticed a change in droppings. The only thing I've found they won't try to eat is peppers. The bell peppers were completely snubbed. They also like dried edible flower petals which some of the chinchilla supply sites sell. They must have wood and hay at all times. We go through pounds of grapevine, mulberry, apple, and a few other safe woods plus their variety of pine shelves and houses. They chew nonstop. They will eat plastic water bottles and sometimes they eat the plastic around the base of the glass water bottles so that the bottle fails. Glass lixits are expensive too. To counter any negatives though they are extremely cute, fluffy, and interactive. Don't say the word treat in front of the chinchilla cage or you will have chins hanging off the bars and out the doors. They bounce, boing, and play with everything. Chinchillas can grip things with their feet so they will grab anything through the bars including a dog. That usually gets them licked in the face but they still do it. Watch your hair and the curtains and the decorative wood around the top of the wall and the oak coffee table when the cages were in the livingroom and that book my husband did not keep track of properly and the box of wood that got set beside the cage.... :lol: Everything in reach is a casualty of chinchilla teeth. But they are so cute and fluffy!

Aww I love chinnies but I'm not allowed to get any, parents say the pigs are enough and they're right! Quite a handful but it's worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back