• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

chirping like a bird!

Status
Not open for further replies.

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
either ches or maisie just started chirping like a bird! i don't know who it was, i went over to check them and it stopped.

does anyone know what it means! it's really strange. ?/

i just got them a treat from the kitchen and they came over like normal, and then popped off again. they seem ok.

how strange! :{

Hi there,

You are one of the lucky ones. Noone knows what this call means and it is fairly rare for piggies to do it. I dont think it's a bad thing though so don't worry! :))

Alyson x

Oooh I was only reading about this recently
'A high pitched bird like chirping sound that gets louder & louder but lasts for about 20 seconds is what one guinea pig (usually the main boar) lets off.
The author says in her opinion it's an alarm call used by his ancestors thousands of years ago and they just do it lol.
I read this from the mini encyclopedia of guinea pigs by Myra Mahoney.

o/h went past the cage a min ago and maisie was in the back corner, wide eyed, and ches was further forward and as soon as he saw dan, he moved back infront of maisie, almost like protecting her, and they both looked scared. :...

we both just sat with them, i got them a some stalky hay and they came over to me, maisie was nervous though, and they are now eating that and i've been stroking them.

i have to say, it has un-nerved me a bit. hope they're ok. the noise probably scared them more than anything! :{

I don't think it's anything to be worried about it's just like one of those things.
My dog's a collie x and he's never worked in his life but if any of the kids step outta line whilst we're out walking he nips (softly) the back of their legs and when he was a puppy he did it all the time to my mum when she hung the washing out, like a herding thing.
Like I said I think it's just a built in thing lol
But it is rare to hear so I guess you were lucky xx

Last edited:
One of our pigs has done this three times in the last 48 hours.

I suspect it's Willow (our second in command girl). She has been known to sing before. I really wish I knew what it meant and what she was trying to say :{ The most recent time was about 12: 00 this afternoon when she was at home in the cage with the others, before this it was in the middle of the night.

Very odd, a strangely pretty sound, but very odd...

Hi,

I'm sure my new peruvian sow Millie makes this noise, sometimes I hear a high pitched bird like tweeting that I didn't hear b4 I got her:))

Yes, very strange:{

i worry so much. i read one thing on the net once that said one pig was chirping, and then a few days later their cage mate passed away. :... and it always stuck in my mind, so when i heard chirping i was so worried :...

i hope they are ok. i'm hoping chesney did it and didn't mean to! :)) he's usually quite quiet but then sometimes does the loudest wheeks, almost by accident, and shocks himself! rolleyes:))

seems like quite a few people have heard it and the pigs have been fine, so hopefully everything is ok.

i worry so much. i read one thing on the net once that said one pig was chirping, and then a few days later their cage mate passed away. :... and it always stuck in my mind, so when i heard chirping i was so worried :...

i hope they are ok. i'm hoping chesney did it and didn't mean to! :)) he's usually quite quiet but then sometimes does the loudest wheeks, almost by accident, and shocks himself! rolleyes:))

seems like quite a few people have heard it and the pigs have been fine, so hopefully everything is ok.

I'm jealous lol but then again I'd have to have great hearing cos they're in a shed at the bottom of the garden.

Oooo its a weird but beautiful sound isn't it? I've heard Harvey twice sing, the first time when he was just a bern, and he was under the sofa chirping away, bizarre and when i was out during the summer my mum heard Artie sing too...she thought a budgie might of been trapped in the outhouse but it was just the piggies happily chirping away! :)) I haven't heard them sing since though....

When Millie and Cheryl lived together they did this noise, not too sure who it was as they were hiding at the time and it went on for ages, it happened about 3 times in a short space of time, then i never heard it again, Millie had passed away now so not sure if ill hear it again.

I have read that its rare and any body who has chirping piggies should feel priviliged.

We were tryng to find a pattern in Willow's singing today to see if we could figure it out, but she never seems to be in the same place twice when she does it rolleyes

I think it may be a built in natural reaction but to what I have no idea! :(|)

I'm jealous lol but then again I'd have to have great hearing cos they're in a shed at the bottom of the garden.

:)) more likely to be a bird outside aswell! :))

i feel lucky to have heard the noise, but it did scare me! rolleyes

I also heard that pregnant sows sometimes do this but don't know how true this is?

I also heard that pregnant sows sometimes do this but don't know how true this is?

arrrggghhhh... don't say that! :)) well chesney was neutered and then we waited six weeks before we got maisie, and that was march and april 09, so hopefully that isn't why! :))

This is Patrick chirping... Too my knowledge at the time he was very content no idea.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc4F31NYUUU[/ame]

This is Milo, last week at the time this was took Bette was in alot of discomfort.

I do think there is more than one type of chirp. Milo I believe was distressed.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wML9NA6g5II[/ame]

Last edited:
This is Patrick chirping... Too my knowledge at the time he was very content no idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc4F31NYUUU

This is Milo, last week at the time this was took Bette was in alot of discomfort.

I do think there is more than chirp. Milo I believed was distressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wML9NA6g5II

that is the same noise, but not how they did it. this one sounds more distress like you say. what i heard was more one level of the same sound. but even so, it didn't sound like it was a positive noise, they seemed scared.

i'm petrified there is something wrong with one of them and they know. :...

just been to get them their pellets and they came over, and did popcorns after, so they seem ok.

i will still worry alot though now! rolleyes

eta: sorry, only saw the first clip. it was more like that one. the second one it wasn't like that. it was like the first one, very loud but only one level sound. that second clip is quieter isn't it, sounds more like crying.

Last edited:
Patricks chirp the top one I don't think was distressed Patrick did it a very long time ago and hes still fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it, it could be as simple as they were spooked!

Patricks chirp the top one I don't think was distressed Patrick did it a very long time ago and hes still fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it, it could be as simple as they were spooked!

that's what we thought at first, maybe they had heard something outside. it was sweet how ches seemed to protect maisie though x) he just stood infront of her and guarded her. x)

Our big girl Midge sings quite often, I'm convinced it's a dominance 'thing'. Although whyever she does it she sings beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back