• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Choosing the right hidey

Janlo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’m getting a few more hideys to give the guinea pigs more places to hide and I was wondering if the ones that I’ve attached below are all good, safe and long lasting
Thanks Janlo x

Attachments

• 06AE2F35-1297-44B2-B6B4-1AB9511CF2A4.jpeg
    06AE2F35-1297-44B2-B6B4-1AB9511CF2A4.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 772C3018-8C0B-46D9-B785-6B13E506A204.jpeg
    772C3018-8C0B-46D9-B785-6B13E506A204.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 3
  • D4B5EDA5-86D0-4542-911F-1FD546D5009A.jpeg
    D4B5EDA5-86D0-4542-911F-1FD546D5009A.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 5
  • D0942206-4F6A-418B-8583-38C87E5FB143.jpeg
    D0942206-4F6A-418B-8583-38C87E5FB143.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2
the 2 dark brown ones are ok, but not safe for them to chew on. the green one i have. it’s also ok but a little flimsy. and the straw one is great but won’t last long (:

Okay thanks I was very unsure about most of them lasting long or being safe like the green tunnel being plastic
Thanks so much

I think you might find the top two a little small for an adult piggy? We've had both of these and the smaller piggies were ok but both ended up with a larger piggy stuck!
And I think they would trash the hut in no time... some pigs may be ok with a pladtic tunnel but I know 2 of my chew monsters who really wouldnt!

Okay thanks for the feedback and I think I’m going to purchase either the plastic tunnel or the seagrass tunnel if it is big enough
Thanks again
Janlo

Depending on where you are using it please bear in mid that anything made of plastic can get very hot very quickly in warmer weather.
I tend to use bendy bridges or wooden houses.

I've had the green tunnel before and although the piggies love them, they are a nightmare to clean! even when the tunnel is extended it has lots of ridges in it and i find that the poops got stuck in them and I had to throw mine away!

You can get large cardboard tubes from Wilco’s which are easier to cope with than plastic tunnels. Mine have had round sea grass tunnels and they get destroyed pretty quickly!

as long as you have somewhere to store them, most carpet shops are happy enough to give the cardboard rolls that the carpet comes on (like giant toilet paper insides) away for free! they can easily be cut up to make loads of tunnel hides and my guinea pigs love them!

My last pair of boars had two bendy log bridges/tunnels (which Comet loved eating, for some reason), two seagrass tunnels (which Comet loved eating, for some reason - I'm sensing a pattern here) and 4 carrot cottages that they stripped all the good bits off and left the frame behind, which was awfully sensible of them. Comet only really used the carrot cottages, Blitzen used all of them at one point or another.

Whatever you get for them, you have to be prepared that they'll try to eat it - like Comet did. And Jake once ate an entire plastic bowl and nearly gave me a heart attack in the process.

Sorry if I am incorrect on this, but the two dark brown hides appear to be "Snak Shaks". They contain honey and peanut butter flavoring (among other ingredients), so I wouldn't really recommend them.
If they aren't, then nevermind! ;)

An empty bud box is a good hidey. Pop a pee pad at the bottom and stuff with hay! You get to drink the bud and your piggies enjoy the box. I call that a win win situation. You can do the same with wine boxes - the ones that hold 6 bottles of wine (my preferred choice - OH drinks the Bud, I drink the wine!)Hutch with Fleece 5.JPG

I forgot to add that if you are looking for a durable, slightly larger tunnel, you can look for cat tunnels! :)

Thanks everyone for the help I’m sure the piggies have to I do have bendy bridges but I was looking for something that would be a bit more exciting for the pigs

Back