• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Christian has a hurty eye

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
About an hour ago I pulled a HUGE seed head out of Christian's eye. He hadn't had it in there very long but the damage had been done. I immediately phoned the vet and was told there were no appointments left today so would I send in photos of his eye by email like I had to in Lockdown. It's not easy to do on your own but these are the pictures I sent through. I hope they are in enough detail. Christian got some watercress after he had been poked and prodded for being a good boy.

IMG_2739.JPGIMG_2742.JPGIMG_2743.JPGIMG_2744.JPG

I hope they review the pictures quickly as poor old Christian has a hurty eye! I did have a good look around it and I can't see anything else in there. The seed head looked intact.

Luckily he is on Metacam twice a day so that will have helped with the pain.

Ouch that looks very sore! Hope they prescribe some eyedrops but its definitely worth pushing for a vet appointment tomorrow or monday just to make sure there's nothing else stuck in there... could you pick up some artificial tear gel from the chemist just to keep it lubricated until the vet gets back to you? Healing wheeks for handsome silver Christian x

I have some of that not thought to put it in though! :doh: I'll do it right now! I'll see if I can get an appointment for Monday when they phone back after reviewing the photos and hopefully say I can pick up some eyedrops this afternoon.

Ouch that looks very sore! Hope they prescribe some eyedrops but its definitely worth pushing for a vet appointment tomorrow or monday just to make sure there's nothing else stuck in there... could you pick up some artificial tear gel from the chemist just to keep it lubricated until the vet gets back to you? Healing wheeks for handsome silver Christian x

I agree with @Piggies&buns . Poor boy, that looks sore! Please get a vet appointment as any scratches on the cornea can become infected and cause an eye ulcer.

Plain artificial tear gel (if they have it) is best as it rehydrates and soothes the sore eye. Apply every 8 hours.
In a pinch, plain artificial eye drops will also do but their effect is not as long lasting and they are less easy to get in. Use 3-6 times a day depending on the severity of the eye problem. Kim and Simon Maddock always prescribe the tear gel with any eye injury now and from my own experiences it is one of the things in my own first aid kit - it really makes a difference in the recovery and may help to head off a surface infection.

Aw, hope all goes well for poor Christians eye, it looks so sore x

Wowza! Poor Christian. You’ll be sorted by the vet tomorrow. Get well soon 😘

Poor Christian - that looks sore.
Glad you got such a prompt vet appointment and you can get the eye drops for him
You really are having fun with your piggies at the moment

great to hear you managed to get a vet appointment hopefully a quick vet check and a few eye drops and he'll be right as rain.

Just handed over Christian to the very lovely Jure (Yuri). Christian's eye has now got a white film over it so it looks like it's ulcerated.☹️

Oh no poor boy .. that looks so sore... hope he is ok xx

Back