Citronella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
When the warmer weather finally stays put, the flies and insects that are around are a pain to get rid of... but have found citronella to be good :)

In Morrisons yesterday I got 50 tealights with citronella in which I will be placing around hutches - obviously not lighted :)

Thought I'd share :)

In tesco's they have fly/insect repellant block things for use in home and garden, though citronella smells much nicer.

Thanks for sharing that Kelly, I will have to try and get hold of some. O0

my electric fly zapers are cooking them like there no tomorrow zzzz zzzz zzzzzzz another one bites the dust why do I get such satisfaction out of it, I even tell the pigs hey did you hear that we got another one opne less to harm you O0 O0

Because they are a pain in the butt. >:( I don't mind flies but I don't want them anywhere near me or my guineas. ;D

LOL Same here. Have fly zappers but it's a pain to keep getting bulbs for them.. But I just hate them near me too!

Yep we've got a De Buger well that's what i call it ;D ;D ;D (was careful how i spelt it)

Michelle i soooo agree with the satisfaction of hearing that zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap but ooo the smell when a moth gets in xx0

Can't use citronella, allergic to it :(

Both. Flies have disgusting habits and can lead to maggots etc. Plus the are just a nuisance. O0

That's a good idea O0 I use dynamite (not the stuff you blow up!) on my cages etc which is a herbal insect repellent that uses citeronella. I've also used it on myself when to prevent mossies biting me :D

I got some citronella oil off ebay & i put a dab on all bottoms (near the grease glands) to ward off the flies as well as using the fly paper things in the shed which don't half hurt when they stick to your hair ;D

Thank god you started this thread I have been having a real problem with flies since the new bin scheme I am really worried about the amount of flies so will get citeronella tomorrow and fly paper I am so nervous about them getting fly strike :(

I bought some flyscreens last year to put over the windows and doors in Rodneys summerhouse. Maybe you could pin them to the front of the cages. They will still let the same amount of light and air through them.

Niki said:
I got some citronella oil off ebay & i put a dab on all bottoms (near the grease glands) to ward off the flies as well as using the fly paper things in the shed which don't half hurt when they stick to your hair ;D

O0

cazza said:
below their grease glad?

Just in case you don't know where the grease gland is, it is on their bottoms, above their anus and looks like this:

greasegland.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back