Claw clipping a piggy that hates being touched...help!

TeganTalia

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Newbie here....we adopted 2 lovely girls from a rescue home last month about a year old. Tegan is happy to be touched and picked up and doesn't mind having her claws clipped too much. Talia however is the total opposite! Firstly she is a nightmare to catch. Secondly this was my 3rd clip today. The first time was very traumatic and didn't manage to do all of them. The second time was better but again only managed a couple of claws. Today was awful I managed one claw. I've watched you tube videos over and over. She has worked out that we were trying to bribe her with carrot and refused it. Will try again on Sunday- deep clean day!
Tips I have picked up:
Wrap her in something ie t shirt (I've yet to try) I've just been using a pillow case but she wriggles that much!
Use human toe nail scissors
Distract with food
Let them have floor time on concrete (I've ordered a run from P@H pick up Sunday)
Read somewhere on here about rocks/stones in the cage? Yet to try.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated and apologise that this has probably been asked a million times before 🙈

When we first adopted them I took them to the vet and asked them to clip claws and they only needed the back ones trimming. I would like to avoid doing this though as it would be more traumatic for her.
Would like to add both have black claws apart from 1 front paw on Talia.

Thank you everyone ❤

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
Nail clipping is often something which takes practice, patience, bribery and many attempts!
One of my boys is ok to clip, the other one not so much!
To catch, herd piggies into something - whether it’s a snuggle sack, pet carrier, box - and then pick them up from there. As prey animals, they don’t like being caught anyway. My piggies now associate the pet carrier with going into the run so happily just walk into it when I put it down into their cage (and then feel betrayed when they take a trip to the salon first!). I sometimes can only get one foot done at a sitting so it can take a few days to get all feet on both piggies done. Wrapping in a towel or having piggy in a snuggle sack is what helps me. It can be easier to clip little at a time and often. For black feet you can shine a torch up through the nail to enable you to see the quick. It can also be easier to have two people - one to hold and one to clip.

TeganTalia

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you! Helpful tips - she does seem to be getting better as in sleeping and napping outside her hidey hole and approaching me so fingers crossed in a few months she will be better with handling. 🤞🤞

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
I’ve only recently started clipping my piggies’ nails.
We moved house and the new vet was charming twice as much as I was paying before.
I was fortunate in that @VickiA came to visit and show me how to.
Now my husband gets roped in to help.
One to hold and one to clip.
I also have a piggy with a black paw - as she screams loudly before I’ve even touched her that paw is a particular challenge.
Lots of bribes and a dish of cornflour for when you cut the quick of a wriggly piggy are essential.

TeganTalia

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My 12yo daughter feeds the bribes she isn't confident in holding but I was talking to the husband about maybe him holding and me clipping. Definitely a 2 person job!

Good tip about the cornflour thank you. Once things get back to more normal I can take her to the vet and they can show me - it's not the same watching a you tube video. X