• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Claw cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrs ord

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My girls are easy to do they have white claws and I can see the pink bit so know where is safe to cut. Butler has black claws :^- (no need for that smiley just been dying to use it :)) )

So how do I know where to trim :{

I just trim the ends off my black nailed piggies

Regular filing helps prevent a problem

You can try to hold his claws up against a light (get a torch you can stick between your legs for that) - the bit you can trim will turn transparent.

Thanks guys. I'm not too worried about it yet as his are very short but with him being indoors for the winter they'll no doubt grow during this time. Outside they stay short due to paving slabs and the sandpaper on their ramp.

i have tried using a light under the dark nails, but i still cant see! i just trim off their nails every few weeks.

You can try to hold his claws up against a light (get a torch you can stick between your legs for that) - the bit you can trim will turn transparent.

I use a torch on the dogs claws 'cause they're black. Please be careful if you use an LED torch because the they use daylight spectrum that is dangerous to shine directly into the eyes and Piggies only have little eyes. Having said that, I recomend that everyone changes over to LED torches as they are far superior to the old type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back