• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cleaning Boar Butts.

Kayleighxo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey guys, hope all this makes sense.

Just a quick question regarding cleaning boars. Ive read the thread on cleaning boar bits but would like to double check a few things before I attempt it myself.

I thought I only had to clean their butts when they get older due to impaction but I think I was wrong. When my piggy was running around I noticed some debris poking out his bum. Do I clean this with a q-tip and coconut oil? I have found some coconut oil in my local shop, would this specific one be okay to use?
SmartSelectImage_2018-02-25-09-33-25.png

And how often would you recommend for me to clean? Thank you x

Reenie

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hi. You only need coconut oil for their grease gland. The one you have there is fine. Also you only have to wash them if they're dirty/smelly. I've only ever washed mine once.
When you say there is something poking out of his bum, what do you mean? If it's a bit of hay or other debris, just very gently pull it out. If it's anything else, you'd maybe need to get it checked out by the vet.

Kayleighxo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. You only need coconut oil for their grease gland. The one you have there is fine. Also you only have to wash them if they're dirty/smelly. I've only ever washed mine once.
When you say there is something poking out of his bum, what do you mean? If it's a bit of hay or other debris, just very gently pull it out. If it's anything else, you'd maybe need to get it checked out by the vet.
Thank you. Its just hair/hay, I do just pull it out but didnt know if I had to clean the whole area incase there is hay/hair I cant get to. Thanks again!

Oh just to ad to this when I said clean I dont mean a bath, ive never had to bath mine as they are very clean and do not smell. I meant only cleaning the bum area with just a q-tip and coconut oil. My boys are still babies, only 7 months old

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, hope all this makes sense.

Just a quick question regarding cleaning boars. Ive read the thread on cleaning boar bits but would like to double check a few things before I attempt it myself.

I thought I only had to clean their butts when they get older due to impaction but I think I was wrong. When my piggy was running around I noticed some debris poking out his bum. Do I clean this with a q-tip and coconut oil? I have found some coconut oil in my local shop, would this specific one be okay to use?
View attachment 81570

And how often would you recommend for me to clean? Thank you x
Gently wash your boy's bum with some hand warm water and work any muck and debris in the anal sac out. Best have a stash of disposable gloves at home. Follow the tips for bum baths in our boar care guide.

Coconut oil is only needed to clean a hard build-up in the grease gland.

Kayleighxo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Gently wash your boy's bum with some hand warm water and work any muck and debris in the anal sac out. Best have a stash of disposable gloves at home. Follow the tips for bum baths in our boar care guide.

Coconut oil is only needed to clean a hard build-up in the grease gland.
Thank you!