• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

cleaning out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends really. I probably do once a week for 2 guinea pigs together and twice a week for more than 2 guinea pigs in a cage. If I see a particular part of the cage gets bad I will always clean it out. I use carefresh at the moment which lasts much better than woodshavings e.t.c

i'm thinking thats maybe why dave and daph are getting grumpy cos they seem to poo loads... and maybe it smells bad to them..?

its cheaper for us to get woodshavings cos its like £6.99 for a HUGE bag.

do you line your hutch/cage with newspaper?

we do and then put a layer of wood shavings to soak up any wee and then put hay in their sleeping area

perhaps my three are spolit because I clean them out every other day. There are three of them in one big hutch though. They also have an indoor run to play in.
For the hutch I use newspaper, then shavings, then hay. For the run I have an old bit of carpet and I put a puppy training mat on top of it at one end. The guineas are really good because they mostly go to the lav on the mat so it's easy to clean!

taz decided to go on my desk yesterday bless him! hehe not plesant

i wish they would invent a piggie pooper scooper or something that way you could get all the bits of poo out

do those like piggie toilet things work.. do pigs acutally go on them

my lot are cleaned out sometimes twice a week, depending on the condition.. the hutch/cages then get spray with deodorising pets spray, then ablack bin liner is putat the bottom,, followed by newspaper, woodshavings and hay.. they also have some shredded paper in there too if I have any..

When they need cleaning out again I only have to grab the liner from the bottom, fold it up and chuck away!

I think it all does depend on which bedding you use. Woodshavings doesn't absorb urine aswell as carefresh. I am going to try some other bedding when I have made the C&C cage which Kate recommened. Can't remember what it was though!

I whole clean once a week and i mini clean when needed this may change when i get my vet bed.

I use vetbed & fleece so I clean it about every 3 days and spot clean (hoover out the poo's) daily ;D

I agree with Ellie - it depends on the bedding.

Livie xx

i do mine on day 5. my girls have the double storey hutch and a run to go between so its easier that way.

i'm thinking of getting those grid things from argos. what do you use for teh bottom bit of it?>

this way i can have my piggies in my bedroom :D

My guinea pigs cage gets cleaned every day and a quick clean at night.
every Saturday the cage and everything in it gets scrubbed untill its squeky clean

I clean mine out once a week but pile on hay all the time so its fresh throughout anyway 0:)

I clean mine out once a week because there is only 2 of them, I sometimes clean the bedroom out a couple of times in the week because that seems to get dirtier than the main bit

In the main area I just use a layer of Newspaper then a thick layer of woodshavings then in the bedroom Its newspaper, shredded paper then Hay!

I clean my pigs twice a day,and give a really thorough clean 2 or 3 times a week.

i clean the poo spots 2 a day and give thorough clean out every 2-3 days :)

I clean the poos out everyday from the three male cages and remove all the bedding and hay from the mum and babies everyday, but with the others, I properly clean them out twice a week. I can't do it just once a week as they it would get hanging

mine get cleaned out twice a week but sometimes more...depends how messy they make their hutches ::) ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back