• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cleaning Water Bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookie16

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I always struggle to keep water bottles clean! I've never found a bottle brush that fits! I've found filling it with small stones and some water, then shaking cleans them well, but is a bit of a fiddle! I do, of course, regularly buy new ones, I use standard plastic ones.

Has anyone found a better, quicker or easier way?

You can buy a special brush for cleaning water bottles in PAH. (I think it was PAH) There is a smaller brush in the handle for cleaning the spout. I have tried using cotton buds to clean the spout, only to have the bud get stuck in the spout! Its impossible to get it out, so I throw away that bottle top so I don't accidentally put it on a bottle and find the piggies can't get a drink.
The brush above is good for the body of the bottle, but what about the spout?

Bottle brushes are good.
Have you tried shaking it with rice? It may be easier to take the rice out and back in.

You could use barley inside the bottle too. But with cold water, so it doesn't go soft. Barley water is good for the bladder. Still doesn't clean the spout though.

A very dilute solution of Milton fluid(used for sterilising babies' bottles) works wonders and kills all the bugs. Be sure to rinse lots and lots of times and leave to dry thoroughly. Give a good sniff to make sure no smell of Milton remains. Asda do their own version which is much cheaper.

I use a bit of uncooked rice with a bit of water to clean my bottles by shaking the mixture. I disinfect them with baby bottle sterilising fluid once a month.

I use a bottle brush and fill it with fresh cold water daily x

The only bottle brushes I've tried don't fit! Not seen the PAH one, will have a look!

Love the homemade idea @Coco&Luna, might try that!

Rice also sounds easier than my mums idea of small stones!

Lots of ideas, thanks!

I use decanter cleaning balls like the ones in this link

I do use cotton buds to clean the spout but agree, you have to be careful not to lose the cotton wool tip.

I don't fancy using Milton ( it's just me ) . I have glass bottles and , after cleaning with hot soapy water and a good swill with cleaning balls, I sterilise the bottles and spouts with boiling water.

I use the bit of rice method which works really well. To get the rice in the bottle I use a plastic funnel which saves spilling the rice trying to get it in and makes the job a doddle.

I have a total of 4 water bottles but only use 2 at a time. My bottles get cleaned and filled every day. I use a bottle brush to clean the bottles and leave them to dry over night in the rack and use the other two bottles and repeat cycle.

I was informed that you want to dry them completely instead of refilling them.

I have a total of 4 water bottles but only use 2 at a time. My bottles get cleaned and filled every day. I use a bottle brush to clean the bottles and leave them to dry over night in the rack and use the other two bottles and repeat cycle.

I was informed that you want to dry them completely instead of refilling them.

I couldn't ever imagine me getting my bottles completely dry ( particularly the nozzles ). I use 2 glass bottles and they get a weekly clean and sterilise ( with boiling water) . Whenever I go away, the guinea pigs go into boarding and I store their bottles in the freezer.

NB - I am not advocating bottles in the freezer to sterilise them - I just find it a convenient way to store the nozzles rather than trying to get them dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back