• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Clicking Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillowCL

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Last night, when I got back from work, I put my head in the guinea pigs' cage to give them kisses. And that's when I heard Coco making this weird wheezing noise, like when humans have a cold, it wasn't really bad, but made me worry so I took her out and it stopped after 5 mins.
Also, Coco occasionally makes those clicking / crackling noises, she's been doing them since she was little (she's around 7 months old now), she doesn't do them all the time, but yesterday the clicking was definitely louder. She's eating well and popcorning. She doesn't seem upset or anything.
This morning no weird noises.
Anyone knows what it could be? Do I have to take her to the vet?
Here's a youtube link I found online that represents the clicking noises (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put links here, so let me know and i'll remove it):
it sounds exactly like Coco.

Many thanks!

:DI would not worry too much about it. Sometimes a piggie's nose gets a bit wet and makes this noise as they breathe. She will probably blow it out sooner or later. It does not sound like a respiratory problem. As long as her nose is otherwise dry and she is eating as normal, she should be okay.
What sort of bedding do you have your pigs on? Wood shavings and sawdust are very bad for the respiratory tract. Is her hay relatively dust-free? You may want to look at the brand of hay you are feeding.:tu:

Hi, Thanks for your reply!
It crossed my mind that it could be a little bit of hay dust stuck in her nose. We use Fitch bedding. And a mix of pets at home and alfalfa king timothy hay.
Have you heard the clicking noise before? I did a quick online symptoms check on the vets website, and it said any cracking or clicking should immediately be looked at by a vet. I also want to add that the clicking seems to come from her nose area and not her lungs. The reason we didn't take her to the vet straight away is because she makes that noise quite often, since being little, and it doesn't seem to bother her.
We got a little bit worried, because with the wheezing, we're not sure if its an illness that's now progressing further or if it's just something harmless that she does.

:D As always, if you are really worried about her, I would take her to the vet just to be on the safe side. Wheezing usually originates from the chest and could indicate a URI. Good luck, and I hope the vet can sort her out! :tu:

Last edited:
:D As always, if you are really worried about her, I would take her to the vet just to be on the safe side. Wheezing usually originates from the chest and could indicate a URI. Good luck, and I the vet can sort her out! :tu:
Thank you :)
I'm going to see how she feels tonight and then make a decision.

I'm still curious if anyone else has experienced the clicking noise and if they know what it is?

:D I seem to remember hearing a slight clicking noise from one of my piggies a long time ago. If I remember correctly, it cleared up on its own.
It may help to bring your piggies inside where the air is drier and warmer. This may help to clear up the airways of the one affected. :tu:

We have them inside, in our living room, so I'll keep observing them. Thanks :)

I can't watch the video unfortunately as my work block Youtube but it is possible that is related to something in her environment. It can also be the start of a URI though so if it continues it is best to get her checked out. If the sound is hooting at all, then the vet also needs to check her heart and make sure there is no fluid on her chest. If a URI is diagnosed make sure you ask for Bisolvon in addition to antibiotics as it will help clear any mucous.

I know some pigs react slightly to Timothy hay as it smells stronger so you could always change their hay and see if it helps. I recommend Oxbow hays.

It just sounds like a slightly blocked nose. I hope that there has been a good sneeze by now! I can be just something that has been inhaled (dust, pollen, hay etc.)

Hi, thank you for your replies, that makes me less worried :) I'll see how she is tonight and take it from there :tu:

I can't watch the video unfortunately as my work block Youtube but it is possible that is related to something in her environment. It can also be the start of a URI though so if it continues it is best to get her checked out. If the sound is hooting at all, then the vet also needs to check her heart and make sure there is no fluid on her chest. If a URI is diagnosed make sure you ask for Bisolvon in addition to antibiotics as it will help clear any mucous.

I know some pigs react slightly to Timothy hay as it smells stronger so you could always change their hay and see if it helps. I recommend Oxbow hays.
Hi, no hooting, just clicking, it's difficult to describe. Thank you for all the info, I'll look into getting Oxbow hay (y)

It just sounds like a slightly blocked nose. I hope that there has been a good sneeze by now! I can be just something that has been inhaled (dust, pollen, hay etc.)
Now I'm thinking, I did leave the living room window open that day. Maybe it was pollen - Can guinea pigs get hay fever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back