• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Clipping Nails?

Cavy Lover

Adult Guinea Pig
Lunas nails have gotten quite long recently and I seem to have lost my piggy nail clippers. I was just wondering can I use the ones I have for my dogs or do I have to order a new pair online? Thank you

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2017/18
I don't know what dog nail clippers are like to be honest. I'd certainly buy a spare pair, in fact I have 3 lots dotted around the place in case I miss a pair...even found a pair in my work suit jacket today! Go figure....
:own:

Emmamarie123

Junior Guinea Pig
I would be careful as I’m sure the dog ones are a lot bigger so you can’t be as precise with the blood line. I find the small ones a lot easier if they wiggle. X

fanniephina

Junior Guinea Pig
I'd definitely steer clear of the dog clippers. We even have to use cat clippers for our smallest chihuahua as they dog clippers we have are just too awkward for her tiny paws. I also have spare ones everywhere and stocked up; everything always disappears in this house :-).

Seven7

Junior Guinea Pig
I have hard time clipping nails and I must always have someone hold two piggies while I clip their nails.
I can only clip nails with a small cat nail clipper I purchased from a pet store, because I am used to it. I can't use human nail clippers or a big dog nail clippers. I have been using this for some time now, so I can't change because I got used to it.
It is already difficult to clip nails so whatever I got used to is what I am using.

Cavy Lover

Adult Guinea Pig
Thanks everyone. I actually ended up doing it yesterday with a nail clippers for babies. I found it very easy and Luna did what she was told. It's great now that I don't have to worry about it for another while.

Cavy Lover

Adult Guinea Pig
How often do you clip nails?
I just do it whenever they look long or if they seem to be getting in the way. I'm not sure about others though. My pigs tend to look after their nails themselves as I've seen them biting them before.