• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Clipping nails

Inky and cookie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Morning as my vets is o my open for emergencies I am going to attempt to clip both my pigs nails. I have watched the video on here to see best way to do this. The vet advised me to use guillotine clips rather than traditional nail clippers.
Just wondering what everyone else uses?
One of my
Pigs has little thin black nails but the other ones are quite thick.

Attachments

• 39873D09-BD68-4B92-BA51-2D5179DA76F2.jpeg
    39873D09-BD68-4B92-BA51-2D5179DA76F2.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 7
  • FF798114-351A-4C13-966C-4DD4A66FF430.jpeg
    FF798114-351A-4C13-966C-4DD4A66FF430.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 7
I just use small animal clippers from pets at home. Black claws are tricker as your can’t see the quick unless you shine a light directly on the claws. Try not to go down to low on the claws. Because my piggies is so fidgety and small I always make sure I have a cotton bud and some plain white flour ready just incase a quick gets caught. However we only take a little bit off at a time. x

Thankyou
Glad you said small clippers as I may have got larger ones. Will take a trip to pets at home today x

These are the kind of nail clippers we use, one is small animal and the larger one is advertised for cats and rabbits- both from Amazon :) the smaller cheaper pair is fine for the piggies that have soft baby like toenails, but older ladies Clover and Jezzy have knarly old hooves that need something a big stronger to get through in 1 snip!
20200616_130118.jpg

My pigs are only 9months old but looking at the photos of their nails which size clippers would you recommend?

I use the same kind of clippers as PigglePuggle. Especially with the black piggy, you could cut a bit at a time and do it over several days to avoid cutting them too short too soon and cutting the quick. Having cornflour is a good idea as Josie_ig said. Is there anyone who could help you for example someone's hold the piggy while you cut the nails? I find that helps as you don't have to worry about keeping the pig from escaping too

I am in no means experienced with piggy nails but I use toe nail clippers (we've had our boys for a year now) and we do it ourselves! I find the toe nail clippers are easy to grip and control but it's also down to personal preference!

Thankyou everyone
I have ordered the same a pigglepuggle uses.
I’ll give it a go. I’ll hold the pigs and ask my husband to clip a few mm off and see how we go from there x

How do you use cornflour ? I've already seen blood pearling after epic nail clipping (also I use small guillotine and lots of snacks).

I personally always struggled with animal clippers then found that using human ones made it so much easier

How do you use cornflour ? I've already seen blood pearling after epic nail clipping (also I use small guillotine and lots of snacks).
Have a little dish of it on hand and if a nail bleeds dip the nail into the cornflour or put some on the end of your finger and put it onto the nail from there. I find the second method easier there as Eddie isn't a fan of us holding his feet snatches his feet away. Either way should stem the bleeding nice and quickly 🙂

Back