• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Closing their eyes!

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!

I’ve had both of my boys for about 2 months now, and I’ve just started to stroke them. I kind of rub their heads with my fingers and they close their eyes. Does it mean they like it or should I stop?

Also, sorry for making so much threads, I have so much questions! - Thank you!

Hi!

I’ve had both of my boys for about 2 months now, and I’ve just started to stroke them. I kind of rub their heads with my fingers and they close their eyes. Does it mean they like it or should I stop?

Also, sorry for making so much threads, I have so much questions! - Thank you!

Hi! No, you need not stop.
When you read our piggy whispering guide, you will find that stroking gently around the eyes and cheeks is the piggy way of conveying affection and love - piggies will lick the area.
Here is the link with you should find very interesting: Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Hi! No, you need not stop.
When you read our piggy whispering guide, you will find that stroking gently around the eyes and cheeks is the piggy way of conveying affection and love - piggies will lick the area.
Here is the link with you should find very interesting: Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
Thank you! I have read all of it, I will try some of the tips tomorrow. I knew guinea pigs were interactive, but not this much haha!

Ours do the same they love a head stroke and also chin strokes!
That’s so cute! I’m scared to stroke their chin incase they bite me thinking it’s a veggie 😅, its happened before but they bite very gently.

Thank you! I have read all of it, I will try some of the tips tomorrow. I knew guinea pigs were interactive, but not this much haha!

Most people totally underestimate the complexity of guinea pig social interaction. Of course it is much easier for them if you learn to speak 'guinea pig' and put any things into a social hierarchical context that makes sense to them instead of waiting for them to figure out humans, like most people do. That is why you may find the tips surprisingly effective. I use them instinctively now but really find that any newbies, even those with major hang-ups come round more quickly.

Here is the advanced course for applying piggy whispering to sort out issues: Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?

Most people totally underestimate the complexity of guinea pig social interaction. Of course it is much easier for them if you learn to speak 'guinea pig' and put any things into a social hierarchical context that makes sense to them instead of waiting for them to figure out humans, like most people do. That is why you may find the tips surprisingly effective. I use them instinctively now but really find that any newbies, even those with major hang-ups come round more quickly.

Here is the advanced course for applying piggy whispering to sort out issues: Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?
I tried one of them today but they were just begging for food 😂 I have always wanted a close bond with my piggies, will they see me as a friend? I’ll read the link you sent! Thank you.

That’s a great sign. I’m jealous! They must feel very safe with you!
Really? Some piggies don’t like being touched much, maybe you’re piggies will do it someday! :)

I tried one of them today but they were just begging for food 😂 I have always wanted a close bond with my piggies, will they see me as a friend? I’ll read the link you sent! Thank you.

They aleady see you as a friend. Even piggies who don't like being touched can still be friends with you and trust you.

Feel blessed when you have a piggy that likes being handled an cuddled but never reduce a piggy just a cuddly animated toy - there is so much more to them and so many other ways you can interact and share their life on so many more levels. Sadly far too many people are still stuck with this entirely human-centric picture that guinea pigs are cuddly pets first when they are anything but... :(
And with the way social media are dominated by what we humans want to see and not by what is actual normal and real, this misconception has gained traction again. Who wants to see videos of a piggy that doesn't enjoy being handled and yet that is much more the case than the other way round.

They aleady see you as a friend. Even piggies who don't like being touched can still be friends with you and trust you.

Feel blessed when you have a piggy that likes being handled an cuddled but never reduce a piggy just a cuddly animated toy - there is so much more to them and so many other ways you can interact and share their life on so many more levels. Sadly far too many people are still stuck with this entirely human-centric picture that guinea pigs are cuddly pets first when they are anything but... :(
And with the way social media are dominated by what we humans want to see and not by what is actual normal and real, this misconception has gained traction again. Who wants to see videos of a piggy that doesn't enjoy being handled and yet that is much more the case than the other way round.
I always feel horrible when I see a video of a guinea pig being handled when they are scared, especially when they are brand new to the owners :( I always make sure my boys come to me first! Thank you so much. I’m glad my boys trust me, they were very confident when I got them! They started taking food from my hand in the space of about 2 weeks!

Our pigs close their eyes too and I always assumed they like the scratches when they do that.

Our pigs close their eyes too and I always assumed they like the scratches when they do that.
This is a bit of a stupid question 😅 but does it mean they like cuddles? I’m worried they might not like to be touched in the future.

This is a bit of a stupid question 😅 but does it mean they like cuddles? I’m worried they might not like to be touched in the future.

All you can do is take it at their pace - they may never like being picked up and cuddled, but being stroked in the cage may be their favourite thing!

All you can do is take it at their pace - they may never like being picked up and cuddled, but being stroked in the cage may be their favourite thing!
Yup! I think that is the case. I’ve had them two months today! And they opened up very fast.

Back