• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Clyde Has A Lump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

7squeakers.

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This morning, when checking my boy, Clydes teeth, I found a huge lump under his jaw. :td: I managed to get him to the vet straight away. The vet said it could be an abscess or a growth. I left him there so that tests could be done. He was put under general anaesthetic and the lump was opened. It was found to be an abscess, perhaps caused by his earlier tooth trouble. The vet rang back just a minute ago. They are going to keep him in for a couple of days until the abscess has drained completely. A sample from the lump will be cultured to find out what it is and which medication would work best on it. I mentioned Zithromax, and the vet said it depends on what they find. It will be strange here without him. Healing vibes, please! :tu:

Keeping everything crossed for him and that they agree to go with Zithromax.

Thanks for the healing vibes, everyone! :tu:
Well, Clyde has been at the Vet's for 6 hours now. I feel lost without him here,:( even though I've still got his 7 girls. The Vet hasn't phoned since 2.20 pm, so no news is good news. He was still under the anaesthetic. Someone did phone about 10 minutes after the Vet, and I thought "Oh, God, don't tell me he's died!":yikes: But thank heaven it was somebody else. I wonder when I'll be able to bring him home.

Sending healing vibes and wheeks to Clyde and hope he is feeling better soon

Sending Clyde lots of healing vibes and lots of love to you x

So Clyde spent Monday night at the vets. He was given a general anaesthetic and his lump was drained. A sample of the contents was cultured. I don't know the results yet. He was given injections of Baytril (0.50 ml/s), Vetergesic/Buprevet (0.3 ml/s), Metoclopramide (0.15 2 cc vial) and Metacam (0.05 ml/s.
I phoned the next morning to see how he was. When the vet didn't phone back for an hour and a half,I went down to see if they would let me see him. The vet said that he should go home as he was not eating properly. The abscess had not refilled. He was given Metacam (.05 ml/s) and Baytril (0.50 ml/s) again. I sat with him all afternoon, syringe-feeding mashed pellets and offering veg and greens. I could not get him to eat. took him back this morning to have his abscess cleaned. It had not refilled. He was given the same injections again. Plus I got a packet of Critical Care to get his digestion going again. I have given him several ml/s of the CC in a cut-off syringe. He is still refusing to eat. The vet said he needs three tablespoons of the CC per day. Is this correct? I am going to read the hand-feeding guide.
Just thought you might like to know how he is doing.

I'm afraid I can't offer much in terms of advice. But just wanted to say I'm thinking of little Clyde and you!

Fingers firmly crossed for his recovery. x

So sorry you are going through this. The hand feeding guide will really help you. it helped me recently. Keep at the feeding. he's been through a lot so it may take a bit of time. Thinking of you and sending healing vibes.

I hope you can get Clyde to accept food. I have used Critical Care (fine blend) from Vet UK which the guinea pig did eat. Also Supreme Science Recovery Plus was given at the last visit to the vet and the guinea pig ate that.

So Clyde spent Monday night at the vets. He was given a general anaesthetic and his lump was drained. A sample of the contents was cultured. I don't know the results yet. He was given injections of Baytril (0.50 ml/s), Vetergesic/Buprevet (0.3 ml/s), Metoclopramide (0.15 2 cc vial) and Metacam (0.05 ml/s.
I phoned the next morning to see how he was. When the vet didn't phone back for an hour and a half,I went down to see if they would let me see him. The vet said that he should go home as he was not eating properly. The abscess had not refilled. He was given Metacam (.05 ml/s) and Baytril (0.50 ml/s) again. I sat with him all afternoon, syringe-feeding mashed pellets and offering veg and greens. I could not get him to eat. took him back this morning to have his abscess cleaned. It had not refilled. He was given the same injections again. Plus I got a packet of Critical Care to get his digestion going again. I have given him several ml/s of the CC in a cut-off syringe. He is still refusing to eat. The vet said he needs three tablespoons of the CC per day. Is this correct? I am going to read the hand-feeding guide.
Just thought you might like to know how he is doing.

Give him as much CC as you can get into him to keep the guts going. If he hasn't got any appetite at all, try hand feeding little but often and also syringe water. the more you can actually get into him, the better. often a little bit of fresh grass or fresh herbs go down best when you encourage a piggy to start eating on its own again. Sorry that you are having a tough ride!

I would like to thank everyone for their kind comments and thoughts and healing vibes. All much appreciated.

It is with a very heavy heart that I tell you that, unfortunately, Clyde passed away yesterday sometime between 5 -10 pm; whilst I was at work. I did not manage to get him to eat anything substantial. The Critical Care was just gathering in his mouth. Not even his 7 girls could perk him up. He was the sweetest, cutest little man and will be sorely missed.

I am so sorry to hear that. You did everything you could. Sending hugs x

I'm so sorry. You gave him the best chance.

Sleep well Clyde x

Hugs to you x

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry for you and poor Clyde! What a sad outcome!

Please don't feel like you have failed him; you did everything you could and needed to.

Sadly it is sometimes just not to be, but that is not something that is under your control; even the best vet cannot save every life. All you can do is give him as best a chance at a happy life and health as reasonably possible for such small animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back