• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

cocoon like things near hay box

AidaB

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Hi!
I have spent my morning dismantling the piggies playpen(c&c), lifting all waterproof and fleece layers, and giving the whole floor etc a good clean.

I found some cocoon like things mostly near a box of hay, when squished they let out a white puss. They are about half a poo size. they don't photograph well, just look like a guinea pig poo in a photo!
I have had a little search but not coming up with anything that looks similar.
Any ideas welcome.
Big box of hay currently moved away from our Guinea pigs, I would hate to have to throw it out. I treated them to Hay box hay, which is a rare occurrence for us.

Do they look like the pictures below? If so they're fly pupae, I'd have a look for anywhere warm, dark and damp that may have encouraged them to lay eggs as there may still be some maggots (their life cycle is extremely quick though)

Screenshot_20210730-114817_Chrome.jpg

Thank you. Think you may be right. Look very similar. High chance coming from the chimney, flies randomly appear from the chimney in the summer. :no:

Great you noticed them! We had a plaque of caterpillars once that came from the hay. Harmless but not very nice climbing up the walls 🤢

Soooo…. Clearly didn’t get them all, spent the evening chasing flies 🪰.
Boys are alternating between intrigued and not impressed!
Other boy balancing, trying to chase a fly on the ceiling, with spectators.

279BF3D7-28C6-4C64-9A0E-63216D7A3273.jpeg

My friend had this in her kitchen and it turned out she'd had a bird drop down the chimney and die (or die and drop down the chimney - we don't know which) so the only not-very-useful suggestion I have is chimney pot toppers which will at least prevent it happening again. We had to get them on ours because a wood pigeon came down (twice) and made a right mess in the bedroom!

Gorgeous little piggies watching. Making sure daddy slave gets them all 😍😍.

Back