• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cold Weather Care For Guinea Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Just received my first pair of guinea pigs who I think are fantastic. Already worrying about them and if they are ok out in the shed, its really cosy and draught free but was thinking i may get a thermometer, is there an optimum temperature for keeping guinea pigs, what is "too cold" to be outside (even in a shed).?

Don't splash out, we used plumbers silver, padded insulation last year, worked a treat. Stapled it all over and put a Hutch hugger over the top;)

I need something like this for my hutch this year as our old hutch snuggle went to a new home along with our old hutch. Any idea where I can buy it from?

I don't have any guinea pigs yet and would really love to adopt a couple, I am meeting with one of the rescues this Saturday. I am really concerned about keeping them during the winter. I have a garage but it has no natural light, although it does have a light I could keep on.
Would this really effect the piggies during the day?
I work Monday to Friday and would pretty much be going out in the dark and back when it is dark.
I really just want the best for any piggies that I adopt.
If I were to keep them indoors for the winter, does anyone have any suggestions of when they could move outdoors for the spring/summer and how well do they adjust to that?
Sorry to ask so many questions, I just want to be sure I can give them the best life possible x

The information is the original work of Little Brambles Guinea Pig Rescue, Devon

(Me :)) )

For lots of information on keeping piggies warm visit www.lbgpr.co.uk

Thank you for highlighting this very important part of guinea pig care :)

The information is the original work of Little Brambles Guinea Pig Rescue, Devon

(Me :)) )

For lots of information on keeping piggies warm visit www.lbgpr.co.uk

Thank you for highlighting this very important part of guinea pig care :)

I think people often underestimate how vulnerable piggies are to the cold - a lot of guineas died last winter (which was the coldest for some time in the UK), I know because they then rang me to get their remaining piggy a friend! All we can do is educate people, on the forum and beyond, so that fewer guineas are left to freeze

Sophie
x

I have guinea pigs who live outdoors and have been asked to share my experience so here goes.

My girls have lived outdoors for 2 winters now and this will be the third (first time for my 2 newbies).

Mine have been perfectly fine BUT it has taken work to make sure they are kept warm and it must be done properly.

I layer the entire hutch floors with layers of newspaper followed by a layer of shavings and a layer of hay in the living area. In the sleeping area they have layers of newspaper followed by mountains of hay that they can snuggle in to. They also have fleecy cosies and beds to snuggle in to and I use snugglesafe microwavable heat pads
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snugglesafe-Microwaveable-Heat-Pad-Cover/dp/B001A36EUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1284115118&sr=8-1"]Amazon[/ame]

Their hutch is placed in a well sheltered area of the garden and they have a waterproof rain cover that keeps them protected from the wind and rain.

Last year, I fixed a thick fleece blanket over the wire mesh of the hutch over night to keep the chill out.
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 187KB.
DSCF1265.jpg

I think that guinea pigs can live happily outdoors over the winter BUT it must be done properly. If I could, I would have them indoors over the winter but it just isn't practical for me due to lack of space and hubby being allergic. However, if the pigs really were suffering, I would bring them indoors in a make shaft cage or something but luckily, I haven't needed to yet.

They had a scratch and newton hutch snuggle last year but it went to a new home along with the old hutch and they do not do one in the size I need.

If you intend to keep your hutch outdoors over winter, the outside needs to be well insulated as well as things to keep the pigs nice and toasty inside.

Also last year, my husbands friend made a wooden shelter that the guinea pigs hutch sat under to provide even more protection from the wind and rain.

If you are planning on rescuing some guinea pigs at this time of year, please be aware that a rescue will probably want to know where you intend to keep your guinea pigs over the winter months and some will not re home to a home where the guinea pigs have not had the time to adjust gradually to outdoor conditions. For example, my 2 newbies have been with me since March and the beginning of June so started off outside in the warmer weather meaning that they have had time to adjust to outdoor living before the colder weather hits.

Last winter, I made sure I woke up early so that the girls had a warm snugglesafe for daytime use and plenty of fresh warm bedding etc.

If you intend to house your guinea pigs outdoors over the winter, please do everyting that you can to keep them warm and make sure you have an alternative just in case they get to cold :)

Last edited:
Using insulation.. how do you ensure airflow?

Hi, about to go to B&Q and buy some silver insulation, when I fix it to the outside of the hutch what do you suggest to do so there is still air flow? I have also read that it's a good idea to fix some to the base as the cold gets in there. Thanks

I have brought some of the silver insulation today :) The front of the hutch should be uncovered so that will allow air flow. When I put the fleece blanket on the front of my hutch, I always leave a small gap underneath. However, I was once told that guinea pigs only have small lungs so will be fine overnight :)

I'm so glad it hasn't been anywhere near that cold where I live yet. I think it'll be another while before I have to worry about it.

Insulation

Hi, please can someone advise on what type of insulation I need to fix on the outside of my outdoor hutch. I went into a large B&Q and the most appropriate I can find is this http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...3&fh_refpath=facet_159016185&ts=1284292119296

sorry it looks a long link hope it works?

It is a thermal foil very large 7.5m x 600mm and costs approx £17

Someone mentioned they picked up a roll for £5, I couldn't find anything for that price and description. Is it the same stuff?

I could probably make use of this large roll as have 2 hutches, but not sure if it is the best type of insulation as it seems quite thin.

The front of the hutch should be uncovered so that will allow air flow. When I put the fleece blanket on the front of my hutch, I always leave a small gap underneath. However, I was once told that guinea pigs only have small lungs so will be fine overnight :)

I've often wondered about that - I've seen lots of photos (generally speaking), where people have completely covered their hutches with materials which won't allow any air through at all (roofing felt etc) and I've wondered if the pigs would be ok inside with no fresh air for a night. The winter nights are very long as well, so I imagine that some pigs might be covered over from as early as late afternoon until the next morning.

Is that really ok?

When I cover my indoor cages with a fleece blanket at night (during cooler weather) I always make sure I leave a gap for good airflow.

My piggies are inside a shed during fall and winter and early spring. They are inside wood hutches, with one side completely enclosed. Last year my husband rigged up heating inside one hutch. It is a ceramic heat lamp, does not emit light. It is connected to a thermostat and programmed to keep the enclosed side of the hutch to 15 degrees celcius.

This year I haven't decided if I will use a heater for the entire shed or just have husband make another heat emitter for the other piggies hutch. I worry about fires always. I cannot have any hay in the hutch with these heat emitters. I use hay holders outside their hutches. But they love having loose hay to play in which is why I'm thinking having a heater in the shed might be more suitable.

The downside of the heater is that it costs more for electricity than the heat emitter. But if I have 2 heat emitters going it might just add up to the same in the long run.

I also have 2 rabbits in the shed. One free ranges and one in a large cage as they fight. I think the rabbits would enjoy not freezing during winter. I live in Canada. The coldest it gets there is about -6 degrees celcius and that is really cold for here. I live in BC on the most western side, on Vancouver Island.

With the heater I have a high shelf that none of the pets can get to that it can be placed on. But... heat rises so how benefitable will this really be? Although it is a the same level as the hutches.... sorry I'm just confused and don't know what to do!

What is your opinion?

Thank you :)

Lynn

While my piggies are still out in the piggie shed where they free range ,I have started to put the two infra red incubator lights on at night . When I peep at them through the window they are all lying under the lamps all stretched out looking very cosy,they look so funny. I dont think that they are going into their beds,the lovely red glow from the lamps is too tempting!
They will be coming inside for the winter about the first week in October.

I was just wondering when people are intending to put their outdoor piggies into their sheds for the winter - it's getting pretty chilly out there now and I think my boys will be heading into their shed soon.
I'm dreading winter :(

Hi, please can someone advise on what type of insulation I need to fix on the outside of my outdoor hutch. I went into a large B&Q and the most appropriate I can find is this http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...3&fh_refpath=facet_159016185&ts=1284292119296

sorry it looks a long link hope it works?

It is a thermal foil very large 7.5m x 600mm and costs approx £17

Someone mentioned they picked up a roll for £5, I couldn't find anything for that price and description. Is it the same stuff?

I could probably make use of this large roll as have 2 hutches, but not sure if it is the best type of insulation as it seems quite thin.

That is the one I have brought. In my opinion, it is the safest option :) I may buy some more and double it up but it depends if a further layer will fit under my hutch cover. You could always use other things as well such as an old carpet / duvet but these can be quite thick and can get damp when outdoors.

The thermal foil from B&Q is exactly the same material that Scratch and Newton hutch snuggles are made from.

Last edited:
I've often wondered about that - I've seen lots of photos (generally speaking), where people have completely covered their hutches with materials which won't allow any air through at all (roofing felt etc) and I've wondered if the pigs would be ok inside with no fresh air for a night. The winter nights are very long as well, so I imagine that some pigs might be covered over from as early as late afternoon until the next morning.

Is that really ok?

When I cover my indoor cages with a fleece blanket at night (during cooler weather) I always make sure I leave a gap for good airflow.

To be honest, I'm not sure so that is why I leave a gap. Last winter, I didn't put the fleece on until later on at night as I don't like the thought of them being in the dark apart from at bedtime :)

I was just wondering when people are intending to put their outdoor piggies into their sheds for the winter?

Mine are in there now and have been from the beginning of September but out in the run from 11-4pm if the weather is nice, like today. It was a bit premature to put them in there so soon but when I get up in the morning to go for a run I really felt the chill, so I took pity on them and made the shed up.

That is the one I have brought. In my opinion, it is the safest option :) I may buy some more and double it up but it depends if a further layer will fit under my hutch cover. You could always use other things as well such as an old carpet / duvet but these can be quite thick and can get damp when outdoors.

The thermal foil from B&Q is exactly the same material that Scratch and Newton hutch snuggles are made from.

Hi Claire, thanks for your reply. Can I ask how you fixed it to the hutch? Wondering if I should do something semi-permanent like hard as nails tape or use Velcro around it.

I'm going to use a blanket on top, as well as waterproof hutch hugger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back