• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Coloured Urine?!?

BubbleSqueek

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
FECA9640-C558-4696-9851-E54582DBB098.jpeg My piggie Coco has red colour in her urine. We have been to the vet where she got a 10 day course of antibiotics and an X-ray. At the follow up appointment with no improvement the vet took a second urine sample that was normal colour BUT as we were talking the sample turned colour. Within 10 min it was bright red - appearing to be blood! Has anyone had this problem before? She eats well, is active, her poops have been quite soft. She is a rescue piggie so not sure of her age.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi! Strongly oxidising urine is not at all uncommon; it can be connected with a urinary tract or cystitis infection but is not conclusive. A dip test for blood in the urine will usually give a vet the answer.

It is one of the often confusing features of urinary tract problems that red urine does not necessarily contain blood but clear urine can score very high when tested. Believe me, I have been there a few times myself!

Please continue with the course of antibiotics; if there is still blood in the urine (not by eye, but by test), then you may need to prolong the course.
The x-ray should provide clarity about potential bladder stone or slusge problems. The softer poos are caused by the antibiotic; baytril (which I assume you have been given?) is well known for it. It is going to rectify itself as soon as it is over.

BubbleSqueek

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
She finished the antibiotics and we returned to the vet 48 hours after as recommended by the vet. That is when we got the second sample tested. No proof of cystitis and her X-ray from the previous visit was clear. I had changed the brand of pellets she gets but otherwise everything in their routine was consistent. I got the oxbow pellets again that day. My piggies get a wide variety of veggies (1 cup each daily) oxbow pellets, oxbow Timothy hay ( unlimited supply) oxbow vit c supplement and of course unlimited fresh water. The vet recommended I cut out some veggies that are red or deep colours but she gets dark leafy greens mostly. The vet sent us home with a enzyme supplement that I mixed with a healthy pigs poop to get her digestive track back to normal. It hasn’t solved the problem but she has improved. Still discoloured urine persists. She has been treated for a uti previously and needs regular bathing as her long fur gets messy around her butt. I trim her fur a little to keep her tidy. I suspect she is coming into her senior years and she is becoming more fussy about what veggies she eats but is pretty active and seems happy.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
She finished the antibiotics and we returned to the vet 48 hours after as recommended by the vet. That is when we got the second sample tested. No proof of cystitis and her X-ray from the previous visit was clear. I had changed the brand of pellets she gets but otherwise everything in their routine was consistent. I got the oxbow pellets again that day. My piggies get a wide variety of veggies (1 cup each daily) oxbow pellets, oxbow Timothy hay ( unlimited supply) oxbow vit c supplement and of course unlimited fresh water. The vet recommended I cut out some veggies that are red or deep colours but she gets dark leafy greens mostly. The vet sent us home with a enzyme supplement that I mixed with a healthy pigs poop to get her digestive track back to normal. It hasn’t solved the problem but she has improved. Still discoloured urine persists. She has been treated for a uti previously and needs regular bathing as her long fur gets messy around her butt. I trim her fur a little to keep her tidy. I suspect she is coming into her senior years and she is becoming more fussy about what veggies she eats but is pretty active and seems happy.

This very strongly discoloured urine mostly happens in the wake of a UTI after antibiotic treatment. It is attributed to a kind of a bacteria that is always present in the bladder but is usually kept under control by a fully functional immune system. It is not causing UTI, just the very strong oxidisation.
I would recommend to concentrate on trying to strengthen the immune system.

If you old girl is a bit leaky, then please change the bedding/cosies in her preferred sleeping corner daily and also give the underside of the feet, especially the back feet a regular wash with hand warm water to prevent urine scald from sitting in the pee. In the longer term you may want to consider switching to vetbed bedding, which is the softest available.

BubbleSqueek

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The discoloured pee was the reason we went to the vet and although her dip test urinalysis was clear the vet preformed and X-ray and prescribed 10 day course antibiotics. How do you recommend strengthening the immune system? I will keep an eye on her feet and wash her too. I’m just afraid there is a serious underlying problem. Her weight has remained consistent

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
The discoloured pee was the reason we went to the vet and although her dip test urinalysis was clear the vet preformed and X-ray and prescribed 10 day course antibiotics. How do you recommend strengthening the immune system? I will keep an eye on her feet and wash her too. I’m just afraid there is a serious underlying problem. Her weight has remained consistent

I would see whether a 2-3 week course of extra vitamin C could help? It is more effective if you use it as an occasional booster rather than keeping the levels high all the time because the body adapts to that and can conversely react with scurvy symptoms if levels drop a little for some reason.
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links