• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Combing And Grooming

Status
Not open for further replies.

shorty

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a long haired guinea pig called Benny, have only had him for a couple of weeks now. I'm finding it difficult to comb the underneath of him especially near his privates .. have trimmed the hair around his privates so he can piddle without it staining his fur. Does anyone know a good way to brush the underneath of him without annoying him?

To be honest, none of my long-haired pigs enjoy brushing or combing. I tend to cut most of it off, especially round the back end and do the sides so they are just above the floor. I try and give them a regular gentle but quick once over to make sure there are no knots. Although their long hair looks lovely I'm not wiling to put them through the stress of regular brusing to keep it for my enjoyment and I think they are happier with it shorter. It's personal preference though and I do think some long hair gets knotty quicker than others - depending on how silky it is. Gorgeous Guineas do a shampoo especially for long haired pigs to make it shiny and less prone to knots - I use this in the summer.

I do pretty much the same as Kit06 with my long-haireds. I clip it as short as I can around the bum to keep it clean and dry.
I find that the bum is where the problem is most of the time, when it comes to tangles. Keeping it short helps to stop sticky tangles that can get pulled out during brushing and/or combing. This is why mine don't like being brushed at that end. To comb the belly, I hold the pig up on his hind legs, with his back against my tummy. I haven't shampooed my haireys yet, although they are 4.5 years old. I'd like to, one day in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back