• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Comforting a dying piggy

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SarahCavie

hey there,

it's been a while since I posted on this forum. Last time I posted it was two years ago and my new piggy was making strange noises which turned out not to be strange at all. Now its today and my guinea pig Robbie appears to be finally giving in.

He got a bladder stone about a month ago, though we didn't realise until he's been on antibiotics for two weeks. We took him in for surgery, and my heroic stepfather has been syringe feeding him every three hours for weeks now because he won't eat, but although he perked up a bit he's been going downhill this week quite badly. This evening he refused to get up, or fend off our other guinea pig, and he started twitching a few hours ago. We think he has kidney problems.

We're pretty sure that he's not going to live through this one, as once you start twitching it is the beginning of the end, and he's in pain, so if he makes it through the night he'll be taking a one-way trip to the vet's in the morning.

I just wanted to ask if anyone had any advice on how to make him as comfortable as possible.

When my guinea was going I wrapped her in a towel and just sat with her, talking to her, telling her I loved her and that I missed her but it was ok to go to the rainbow bridge.

x

I am so sorry to hear about this. How old is Robbie?

I would suggest giving him plenty of hay to nestle in and his favourite food, plenty of water, etc. maybe fleece or vet bed if you have it.

Back when my old piggie was alive, she developed a tumour in her tummy and was losing weight, and stumbling over the floor of the cage even though there was nothing to trip over. We feared the worst, and prepared for the dreaded one way trip to the vet. However, the vet suggested that there were a few options we could at least try before passing her on to the rainbow bridge, to see if she would pull through.

If your piggie makes it through the night, maybe your vet will have a couple of options for you. Does he seem to be in pain?

All the best for little Robbie x

I would suggest whatever has made him happy all his life.

When Bertie passed, I put him in the fleece we use to cuddle the pigs for lap time, my hubby and I cuddled him gently and he passed peacefully in his beloved daddy's arms, just like he always liked to be.

This must be a difficult time for you... thinking of you...

I was in this situation on July 15th when I sat with Rocky for fourteen hours, while nature took its course.

I wrapped up Rocky in a soft blanket, put her on my bed, just sat with her, read to her from Olga ** Polga, put her toy beside her, offered a little water. She wasn't conscious and I do not believe she was in any pain. I brought Riff up to sit with her a while.

Euthanasia was not an option; all I could do was talk to Rocky about the old times, and give her permission to leave me and Riffy.

When she left at 11.25 at night it was like a lightening in the air, and a huge sense of peace. Riff, Rocky and I were all together, which was right.

Thinking of you at this terrible time. xx

just sit with him and talk to him. let him know he isn't alone. you will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:
This is something I have been through many, many times. If possible I try the following. Give a painkiller, Calpol, Nurofen, Rimadyl or whatever. Give it sooner than later before the pig becomes unable to swallow. If the pig has been living with another pig then put them together. This provides warmth and companionship. If the time/weather are suitable I will take the sick pig outside and put it on the lawn, if only for a couple of minutes. If that is not possible, eg middle of the night, I will get a handful of grass/dandelions and put them under the pig's nose.
Often, even though the pig may be in a coma, the nose will recognise the scent, who knows it may evoke pleasant thoughts of being out on the lawn.
Remember that the sense of hearing is the last to be lost, so keep talking.
It doesn't get any easier no matter how many pigs you have been with at the end.

When Leo was dying 2 Sunday's ago, he was very cold so I got a fleese, made a warm hot water bottle and put the fleese on top, him on top then too and had a tiny bit of cucumber which he tried to eat, then sat watching TV with him, stroking him and talking to him. Eventually he did that thing most guineas do when they need toilet and when I put him down in the cage he had a fit and died. I didn't think he'd last the weekend and the vet told me he would or else I might have put him down myself when at the vets on Saturday. I hope you're holding up ok, I just cried and cried. How old is he? x

Hi both times i had to go thru this with Sully then Dukey i just held them and told them how much i loved them. Sully was the first to go to the bridge so i did put Dukey with him to let him know what was happening i think it's important for the friend/partner to be aware.
I wish you all the best, it's not an easy time, so many of here know exactly what you're going thru, we ALL feel for you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm so very sorry for what you are going through. I think that many of us can empathise. My suggestions would be as others said, painkillers to ease the passing, keep him warm and cuddled in a towel or cuddle, favourite bed etc and perhaps a snuggle pad or hot water bottle for warmth. When my Marbles passed he was in my arms and I could feel his breathing change and his heart slow until it just stopped beating. He went peacefully. Thinking of you. x

All that needs to be said has been said; keep your boy either with his best friend or in body contact with you, if touch is what he craves (my Dizzy did).
Basically, whatever makes him as comfy as possible!

It is an upsetting time, and you are doing your best - he can feel that and it will help him to go in peace.
BIG HUG

Thinking of you at this upsetting time.

Robbie will be comforted by his surroundings and your presence I'm sure

I am so sorry for what you are going through, I am welling up. It must be so hard but cuddles and lots of talking will comfort him, give him something to lay on your knee with that has a familiar smell and tell him how much you will always love him.

I am so sorry. 8...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone,

Robbie died this morning. I think everyone in my house is in floods of tears. Except for Alfred, my other guinea pig, who seems a bit confused about the whole thing.

I have to bury him in the garden this afternoon. Thank you for your thoughts and kind words, you may never have met Robbie but I'm sure you would have loved him as much I do.

Sarah

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. Run free at Rainbow Bridge little one and know that you will be sadly missed..

Hi everyone,

Robbie died this morning. I think everyone in my house is in floods of tears. Except for Alfred, my other guinea pig, who seems a bit confused about the whole thing.

I have to bury him in the garden this afternoon. Thank you for your thoughts and kind words, you may never have met Robbie but I'm sure you would have loved him as much I do.

Sarah

Adleast he's not in any pain anymore, it's so hard when our wee friends leave... but I'm sure he's happily pop corning away in the sky with his friends! RIP little one!

Sarah I am so so sorry for your loss.

Your friends on the forum are all thinking of you at this upsetting time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back