• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Concern about weight loss in brand new babies.

Dan1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Arrived and weighed on Sunday. Poop scooping today and checked weight as concerned about lack of eating. They are definitely eating.
Biscuit was 356g on arrival 328g now.
Oreo was 365g on arrival 334g now.

Seems quiet a lot in two days for 7 week old pigs. Should i be concerned😟?

Did you weigh the same time as before? A full bladder/tummy can be up to 50g. I would leave them to settle in and weigh once they’ve been there a week. But they should be gaining rather than losing.

As baby piggies who don’t have much weight on them then they can’t afford to lose much, however, they are very new and are still settling in, and likely aren’t quite confident enough to be out and about eating as much hay in the open. Keep their cage covered so they feel secure, put plenty of hay near them so they can eat under cover and feel safe at the same time.
You will see fluctuations in their weight and more so if you weigh often. you do obviously need to keep an eye on their weights, but and particularly as babies, but I’d give them some time to settle and see how they are.

Weight - Monitoring and Management
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs

I weighed at 13.30 Sunday. Their enclosure was covered in a light, thin blanket with a darker area of 2x1 C&C grids . I've now put a large thick blanket over the whole enclosure and moved their food bowl into the end where they spend most of their time.
I've piled in the hay.
Any foods I can offer that are good for encouraging weight gain?
Should I leave weighing them until clean out on Sunday afternoon?

I weighed at 13.30 Sunday. Their enclosure was covered in a light, thin blanket with a darker area of 2x1 C&C grids . I've now put a large thick blanket over the whole enclosure and moved their food bowl into the end where they spend most of their time.
I've piled in the hay.
Any foods I can offer that are good for encouraging weight gain?

You don’t need to encourage weight gain. Eating hay will put weight on them in their own time. Keep pellets limited and ensure they have lots of hay at all times and they’ll put it on and get to their own weight just fine.

I'm concerned as they're so little.

5 rescue ladies were never this stressful.

I'm concerned as they're so little.

5 rescue ladies were never this stressful.

Yes. Id give them some time to settle in first.

It’s always very stressful with youngsters! I’m going through it myself with some young newbies to my household!

Back