• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Concerning foot

Dan1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Pig is 10 weeks.

What has caused this? How can I fix it and do I need a vet?

Pig is kept indoors, on fleece liners with a plastic corrugated flexible small animal tube. No access to wire bars or mess underfoot.20200910_211951.jpg

Best to get piggy to the vet and see what can be done. Don’t apply anything to it. Only clean with (saline) water if needed.

Hi and welcome

Please have your baby vet checked and treated. It can be an injury or an infection; only your vet can decide that in a hands-on examination.

Pig is 10 weeks.

What has caused this? How can I fix it and do I need a vet?

Pig is kept indoors, on fleece liners with a plastic corrugated flexible small animal tube. No access to wire bars or mess underfoot.View attachment 153293
:agr:I agree with all of the answers above, please take your precious piggie to the vet for a diagnosis. Please update us and let us know the outcome if you can! Sending love❤️

Pododermatitis. Foot is not openly sore. Infection is internal. Vet thinks a small abrasion that let bacteria get under the skin. She said for this reason bathing would be ineffective.

Antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs for 10 days.

She also strongly advised against fleece bedding but the fleece is softer and drier than the soiled Timothy hay. This is removed daily along with any faeces.

I'm none the wiser as to the cause.20200911_174631.jpg

I hope it heals well.

As long as the fleece is changed regularly and is always dry - perhaps using pee pads where s/he sits most as they can be changed out much more frequently - then it should be fine as there is nothing abrasive to irritate the area.

He spends most of his time is a plastic tube so that's been removed for the moment. Fleece liners are made with zorb and alwayd feel dry. Pee pads changed every other day.

I haven't had the 3 weeks yet. Could it have happened prior to coming home? Vet said initial abrasion was minor.

Pododermatitis. Foot is not openly sore. Infection is internal. Vet thinks a small abrasion that let bacteria get under the skin. She said for this reason bathing would be ineffective.

Antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs for 10 days.

She also strongly advised against fleece bedding but the fleece is softer and drier than the soiled Timothy hay. This is removed daily along with any faeces.

I'm none the wiser as to the cause.View attachment 153372

Hi!

We recommend to get hold of vetbed bedding online (there is plenty around for dogs; if necessary look for some cheap one), cut it up in patches so you can change the main sleeping and peeing areas 2-3 times daily. But changing the crucial fleece areas very regularly and replace them with freshly washed fleece can also work.
More tips for guinea pigs with mobility issues which you may find helpful in this guide here since bumblefoot is not rarely a secondary complication from sitting in the pee: Looking after guinea pigs with limited or no mobility

Hi!

We recommend to get hold of vetbed bedding online (there is plenty around for dogs; if necessary look for some cheap one), cut it up in patches so you can change the main sleeping and peeing areas 2-3 times daily. But changing the crucial fleece areas very regularly and replace them with freshly washed fleece can also work.
More tips for guinea pigs with mobility issues which you may find helpful in this guide here since bumblefoot is not rarely a secondary complication from sitting in the pee: Looking after guinea pigs with limited or no mobility

Its not from sitting in pee. I removed the plastic tube so the urine that fills the ridged tube doesn' aggravate and make it worse. He's been popcorning over dried coriander and fresh dandelion this evening so I'm hoping its not too painful and it'll heal nicely.
I will have a read if he starts showing lameness on it.
Will keep updating. Vets booked for a week hence.

Its not from sitting in pee. I removed the plastic tube so the urine that fills the ridged tube doesn' aggravate and make it worse. He's been popcorning over dried coriander and fresh dandelion this evening so I'm hoping its not too painful and it'll heal nicely.
I will have a read if he starts showing lameness on it.
Will keep updating. Vets booked for a week hence.

No, in your case, the infection has happened some time before. but you may still find some of the care tips in there helpful re. bedding etc.

This is Biscuit's foot this afternoon:

20200916_215441.jpg

Looking much better.

That is looking much better. Great job, well done. :)

One of my piggies developed Pododermatitis after a spell in hospital. Two vets said it was incurable.
I keep him on bath mats, fleece and VetBed in areas he sits a lot.
when he had it, I washed several times a day and used Epsom salt foot soaks (though his wounds were closed). I used aloe Vera (100% natural from Boots) and some creams (Flamazine - prescription only) and F10 (you can buy online).
He is now completely clear of Pododermatitis with no signs at all.
Though I still regularly clean his feet to prevent any future flare ups.

Back