Confused about dominance..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Piggles

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well it's been a very long time coming and one thing after another has held it up, but today is the day that Marmite finally moves in with the big pigs.

I'm just a little confused by Pippa's reaction and I don't know if she's being a bit of a bully :{

For those who don't know us, Pippa is my dominant girl, with Willow and Pixel in order behind her. Boris is my neutered boy and fits in somewhere close to Pippa. Marmite is our youngest girl and recent addition, She's about three months or so.

Anyway, this is the third time I've added into the little group and I've had a different reaction yet again.

As suspected, Willow had pretty much ignored her and has let her get close so no problems there. Boris has been doing his best to impress and get his wicked way (he hasn't managed it - yet). Pixel probably has the most to gain by moving up the chain and has had a couple of nips, but nothing to worry about but Pippa seems intent on chasing Marmite.

She doesn't really seek her out, but if they wander near to each other Pippa will chase after Marmite and jab at her if she can catch her. There's been no major teeth chattering or lunging or anything and all did settle down (not together) at one point. I'm just a bit worried that Marmite doesn't seem to be able to settle.

They are all in a pen in the living room and will stay here over night. All are eating okay and it's currently all quiet, so this is all good, right?! I guess I'm just being soft! Marmite screams whenever Pippa or Boris gets close which I know is all good and normal and just her saying 'Okay, okay, just leave me alone!'

I hate bonding! I could never run a rescue! It stresses me out too much! I think I just need a little reassurance that this is all normal (i hope!)..

flips

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It sounds normal to me. I introduced Rum this week and all the girls have had turns at chasing her and snapping. Again, it's not all the time but happens if she goes too near and they're in one of those moods. It's not all the time and she usually finds a quiet spot to have a rest. I certainly don't think she's distressed and as she's so quick, the others lose interest rather than carry on running.
Hope it all goes well. :)

Reaction score
i'm having the same problem with mine. my pig poke gets chased around by teddy and bear and she always squeaks out when they are near her. i feel sorry for her so i always seperate them, even though i probebly shoulen't

Little Piggles

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks Flips, Marmite is alot faster that Pippa so can dart out of her way. I guess I'll let them sit it out for tonight unless she starts getting nasty

I hope Pippa comes round. I really don't want to have to split them all :(

Thanks Annie, it's really hard to watch isn't it :(

Reaction score
yes it's horrible to watch. especially when pokes such a friendy nice natured piggy. shes in a hutch with her little girl now she can relax. bless her heart :)

Status
Not open for further replies.