• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Confused On Behavior...

Ariana1690

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I bonded my 2 boys in early February and it seemed to go really well... And they have been living together ever since. Now the problem is the younger one (Pluto) really never stops rumble strutting, anytime Nero (the oldest) gets near him he does it. They don't fight or go at each other and Pluto even wheaks if we take Nero out separately. So is this normal? Will it stop? He just does it every single time Nero gets close to him, even though they seem to sleep pretty close to each other quite often

IMG_20180209_235530.jpg
This is from the day they bonded

How old is Pluto?
It might be rampaging hormones in a teenage boy.
If it is then his behaviour is normal.

So I bonded my 2 boys in early February and it seemed to go really well... And they have been living together ever since. Now the problem is the younger one (Pluto) really never stops rumble strutting, anytime Nero (the oldest) gets near him he does it. They don't fight or go at each other and Pluto even wheaks if we take Nero out separately. So is this normal? Will it stop? He just does it every single time Nero gets close to him, even though they seem to sleep pretty close to each other quite often

View attachment 83605This is from the day they bonded

Don't worry; it is very mild and normal behaviour. He is just telling your older boy what a strapping lad he is!
My Nye even rumbles when I trail may hand along his body even now that he is an adult. He was constantly rumbling at his new adult companion Nosgan during his teenage year and is still doing it, if not quite as often. As his bum is wiggling with his body (and not the other way around), it is actually very cute!

Eventually it is going to settle down. Some boars are in my experience 'mountaineers' and others are what I call 'rumble-singers', you have obviously got one of the latter. ;)
Your boy is looking like is coming up to the time when his testicles are descending and testosterone is starting to play more of a role from about 4 months onward. A bonding can trigger it it a bit earlier.

How old is Pluto?
It might be rampaging hormones in a teenage boy.
If it is then his behaviour is normal.
Pluto is about 7 months old now, close to 8 months. Nero is 11 months old, they seem to get along well besides this rumbling hahah... Nero doesn't seem to care he does it, he doesn't react at all to it. I just don't want either one of them to be stuck together if they don't actually like each other.

Don't worry; it is very mild and normal behaviour. He is just telling your older boy what a strapping lad he is!
My Nye even rumbles when I trail may hand along his body even now that he is an adult. He was constantly rumbling at his new adult companion Nosgan during his teenage year and is still doing it, if not quite as often. As his bum is wiggling with his body (and not the other way around), it is actually very cute!

Eventually it is going to settle down. Some boars are in my experience 'mountaineers' and others are what I call 'rumble-singers', you have obviously got one of the latter. ;)
Your boy is looking like is coming up to the time when his testicles are descending and testosterone is starting to play more of a role from about 4 months onward. A bonding can trigger it it a bit earlier.
:D this makes me feel a lot better actually... These are my first ever guinea pigs so I really don't know what is "normal" behavior and I get worried all the time that something is wrong. Hopefully it settles down over time and he just gets comfortable. Also when you say mountaineer, what do you mean lolol

Pluto is about 7 months old now, close to 8 months. Nero is 11 months old, they seem to get along well besides this rumbling hahah... Nero doesn't seem to care he does it, he doesn't react at all to it. I just don't want either one of them to be stuck together if they don't actually like each other.

Pluto is right in the middle of the teenage months with an all time high testosterone output! Things should hopefully die down a bit more once he is past the limit pushing 8-10 months phase and starting to calm down. He reaches a hormonally more settled adulthood at around 15 months, but can still suffer the occasional short-lived testosterone spike as an adult.

Well, Wiebke gave you the advice you needed I just wanted to say the little tan and white piggy is ADORABLE! Is that Pluto? I might have to stop by and pignap... I mean... visit him... :drool::bal::))

:D this makes me feel a lot better actually... These are my first ever guinea pigs so I really don't know what is "normal" behavior and I get worried all the time that something is wrong. Hopefully it settles down over time and he just gets comfortable. Also when you say mountaineer, what do you mean lolol

You get the same behaviour with neutered boars bonded to sows. Very often there is phase when you wonder whether 'husboars' have actually a vocabulary that stretches further than just rumbling and food wheeks... :mal:

As Pluto is right in the thick of the teenage months, if nonstop rumbling is about the worst of it, then I would count myself VERY happy indeed! :tu:

Well, Wiebke gave you the advice you needed I just wanted to say the little tan and white piggy is ADORABLE! Is that Pluto? I might have to stop by and pignap... I mean... visit him... :drool::bal::))
Yes that is Pluto, and thank you!

You get the same behaviour with neutered boars bonded to sows. Very often there is phase when you wonder whether 'husboars' have actually a vocabulary that stretches further than just rumbling and food wheeks... :mal:

As Pluto is right in the thick of the teenage months, if nonstop rumbling is about the worst of it, then I would count myself VERY happy indeed! :tu:
Well thank you so much for reassuring me about all this :D I love both my little guys so much but they are so different from each other sometimes it's hard to tell what they want together lolol

Well thank you so much for reassuring me about all this :D I love both my little guys so much but they are so different from each other sometimes it's hard to tell what they want together lolol

My only boys pair is yin and yang not only in looks but also personality; they complement each other perfectly! Nosgan is extremely nervous and skittish (he has got his Welsh name 'Nightsong' because you couldn't see him but only hear him for weeks at first) and Nye is a slightly runty happy-go-lucky chap who loves to flirt with the ladies next door and wind up the husboars on the ground floor.
Neutered Nosgan was a big fail with any ladies his previous owner and I have tried him with, so I found him a cheerful little rescue boarmate he clicked with straight away.
IMG_6410_edited-1.jpg

My only boys pair is yin and yang not only in looks but also personality; they complement each other perfectly! Nosgan is extremely nervous and skittish (he has got his Welsh name 'Nightsong' because you couldn't see him but only hear him for weeks at first) and Nye is a slightly runty happy-go-lucky chap who loves to flirt with the ladies next door and wind up the husboars on the ground floor.
Neutered Nosgan was a big fail with any ladies his previous owner and I have tried him with, so I found him a cheerful little rescue boarmate he clicked with straight away.
View attachment 83612
Ooooo my! Those are some adorable piggies! Your Nosgan looks like my Nero! And yes mine are so opposite of each other, Nero loves attention and is so brave! He loves to greet us every chance he gets and always come straight to a hand. Pluto on the other hand is very very skittish and does not seem to like any attention, and the only way he takes his veggies is from Nero's mouth lolol... Nero has actually just started taking him the veggies instead of getting them stolen now... It's quite adorable

Back