• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Confusion from an owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pig Gilbert... I notice him pushing the food bowls out of the way all the time. And today as he's doing it... he's licking the floor. What 'is' he doing?

His brother doesn't do it, just him.

He's doing it right now. He's pushed the bowls all the way from the back to the front and hes licking the floor which the bowls were under...

haha what a strange little boy. i wouldn't have clue. none of mine have ever done it ?/

It is strange. I honestly have no idea what he's doing.

He pushes the bowls a lot, sometimes even pushing them off of the top layer and hitting Ludwig with them (Poor boy). But this time he was licking the bowls and licking the floor.

hmmm sometimes mine push their bowl about, i think their just playing. but wouldn't have a clue why he would want to lick the floor. funny boy :))

I don't think he's playing as he forcefully pushes his nose under it then flips it up and over. XD Sometimes he makes the food go flying everywhere. Naughty lil boy.

But yes he's very odd. :p

Last edited:
Mine have never licked the floor but I have noticed on putting in clean bowls or new toys they will lick or rub their mouths/chins over them, I've never thought about it much but maybe they are scent- marking like cats or just tasting

Ohh they could be doing that.

I think recently Gil's balls have dropped or something because I never used to be able to see the shape and I can now and ever since those two shapes appeared he's been acting a bra.t

Shoving things around, challenging his brother all the time, throwing his stuff around and moaning for about ten minutes for no reason.

Maybe he's just being a teenage hooligan?

So he's just being a teen. Well I'm glad to know about that. He used to be so timid. He's still a bit shy -watching me warily but not fleeing half as much as he did anymore- and a total brat now.

I love him though. He's so cute xD

I think he just think's he's all that now he's bigger than his brother. They were the same size before till his balls dropped.

My eldest piggie Leo does that a lot...I don't think they're actually licking, it's more like rubbing their nose on the surface. :) Not really sure of an explanation to it, however...

Leo does it a lot to my hand, too... (I love him soooo much! <3)

Aww to your hand? That's adorable.

I know he was definitely licking the bowl because I saw his tongue coming out and flicking on the bowl, but the floor I think he was just nosing it like you said.

I checked his bowl and it was empty. So I gave them some pellets and a bit of lettuce each. They are both happy right now :)

Mine have always all done that. My old Bertie used to move his house like a tortoise so it would cover the eating quarters and so he could sleep with his nose in the pellet bowl!

That's absolutely adorable!

I'm glad its normal behaviour. I thought maybe he was lacking vegetables or something in his diet.

My Poppy-Rose has a habit of pulling her bowl towards her with her mouth. Do anyone else's guineas do this? She even does it at times while Rufus has his front paws perched on the edge and still manages to move it!:)) She's got it down to a fine art! Funny to watch- just worry she'll break a tooth one of these days. Apparently it's more of a rabbit thing?

My guinea pig Gilbert... I notice him pushing the food bowls out of the way all the time. And today as he's doing it... he's licking the floor. What 'is' he doing?

His brother doesn't do it, just him.

He's doing it right now. He's pushed the bowls all the way from the back to the front and hes licking the floor which the bowls were under...

Heehee, this brings back memories from about 6 years ago when I had a litter of 4 little boys... Hooligan phase is what I called it. Bowl pushing, nudging the water bottle out of its wire holder, scenting and licking pretty much ever bit of surface they could reach.

Gilbert sounds so adorable. He'll calm down eventually, but for now you just get to enjoy the hilarity and hooliganism! Oh, and the mess if he's throwing his food everywhere. :))

My eldest piggie Leo does that a lot...I don't think they're actually licking, it's more like rubbing their nose on the surface. :) Not really sure of an explanation to it, however...

Leo does it a lot to my hand, too... (I love him soooo much! <3)

:(|) My two younger boars do this too during lap time - sooo cute x)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back