Considering adoption

Nutter Butter

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey guys! I really only posted this conversation so that I could continue a previous chat from a different forum. Anyways, I have a adult guinea pig named Peanut who is in a need of a friend. Her sister passed away a few months ago and she has been living alone since then. I’ve always wanted to get her a friend but ever since Covid started, my parents are very reluctant to go to a adoption center. In the meantime, what should I do to prepare for guinea pig bonding and what should I expect? I’d also appreciate it if you could link some helpful websites below.
(I do have a seperate enclosure ready in case the two piggies don’t get along)

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
There is nothing you can do to prepare for the actual bonding - it all comes down to whether the piggies like each other. However, you can ensure your cage is big enough (a minimum of 120cm x 60cm for two sows but bigger is better) and that you have a spare cage. You can also ensure you have a good vet fund.

If your rescue centre does dating then there is a good chance that you wouldn’t need a separate cage as you would only bring home a new piggy if your piggy had found one she likes.
If you are going to do a bonding yourself, then you do need a spare cage, plus to know the bonding procedure inside and out