• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Constant, rapid and pronounced eating motion

KHBz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, I just wanted to ask about Bianca as, unlike her sister, she is constantly moving her jaw as though she is eating -- when she quite clearly isn't. It can be very rapid and pronounced and my daughter describes it as teeth chattering, but without the noise. Again, she quite clearly isn't in a context where she would be teeth chattering (and doing so continuously). They both had a full vet check-up the other week and their diet must be well over 90% hay, as they just have a few pellets and (under the vet's instruction at that visit) no vegetables for now. Is this usual?

They do chew even if they aren’t eating - they’re not in the hay tray munching on hay and they’re not chewing on veg you gave them. This is normal. Otherwise I don’t know...

Could there be something caught in the mouth/teeth?
It has been going on for a long time but it was looking more pronounced just now. Asking a stupid question here, but should I try to look? I am rather daunted at the prospect of trying to prise open her mouth.

Yes try and look. You don’t have to prise it too open. Check the top and bottom front teeth. You can’t see the back teeth with the correct equipment anyway ☺️

Yes try and look. You don’t have to prise it too open. Check the top and bottom front teeth. You can’t see the back teeth with the correct equipment anyway ☺
Thank you very much for this. I'll have a go now. You may hear the squawks ...

If you are concerned, I’d book a vet appointment who will be able to safely check her mouth and teeth
Thank you for this. I'll start off by trying to have a look now.

I enlisted my piggy-whisperer daughter and we managed to have a clear look with Bianca being very obliging, but to our untrained eyes those top and bottom teeth look beautiful. Nothing stuck. I think it was two-and-a-half weeks ago that we went to the vet and both piggies were pronounced healthy, although presumably she didn't inspect the back of her mouth (we couldn't go in with them so I don't know). Perhaps this is just the chewing Siikibam speaks of? I posted this in Behaviour because I was hoping that this is just part of being a guinea pig. I'll go to the vet if it is thought that that is appropriate, otherwise I would rather wait until we have another general health check in 2-3 months. Would that be ok?

If you can’t see anything and if she is eating and holding her weight, you probably have nothing to worry about
Thank you. I'll keep a close eye on her weight but for now everything seems to be as normal.

Back