Constant Rumbling Several Months After Getting Two Females

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi All,

We've had our two females for a few months now and they seem generally happy (see them popcorning regularly) and healthy.

One of them still constantly rumble struts though, which isn't a problem in itself, but I thought it would have settled down by now. They never seem to fight (although very occasionally there is some mounting) so I haven't worried about it.

Today I noticed for the first time that the other guinea is starting to rumble strut too, so now they are both doing it. Is this something I should worry about? They aren't hurting each other, but I don't know whether it's making them both stressed or not.

We've had them gender checked twice (once at pet shop, once by vet) so I'm sure they are both females :D

They get fresh greens everyday, but I'm wondering if they don't have enough to keep them entertained. They seem to ignore any toys we do put in though.

Thanks!

Reaction score
We've got 3 girls and our two fattest ones rumble all the time!

I used to worry all the time, but have realised they are challenging each other, and it seems to never have come to any serious issue. They headbutt each other too, but thats really as far as it goes.

Hierachy is probably the main reason why they are doing it, as they obviously need a boss and one thinks she can challenge the other one at times but i really wouldnt worry, unless of course they fight and draw blood.

I'm not an expert as only had my pigwigs since October, but i've experienced exactly what you are now, and i wouldnt like to think your worried about it, and no-one had replied so thought it best to try put your mind at rest.

Hope this helps, Amie! x

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It is perfectly normal. I've had mayhem this week with 4 sows being in season. Brrring, rumblestrutting, chasing & mounting going on & squeaks of indignation from their cage-mates. It has, thankfully settled down.....for now :))

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Especially dominant sows will rumblestrut regularly to mark their position. Other sows will rumblestrut only when they come into season about every two weeks.

I have a group of ten sows and it can be rather lively when several are in season at once! mallethead

Here is more about sow behaviour: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38561

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Mine are really lively when in season too and poor Johnny does go through it. Though Gertie was humping Star's head earlier. I worried at first too but it is normal sow behaviour.

lynneprice

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
there is lots of noise coming from my cage at the moment.one of my youngsters is constantly trying to mount its mum lol.only trouble is she is trying to mount the wrong end (poor mummy is not amused)
seriously though ,wanted to ask a question the sow that is in season is only 9 weeks old just thought this was a little young ,her sister has not shown any signs of being in season.my older girls were def older than 9 weeks .any thoughts on this ?

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
there is lots of noise coming from my cage at the moment.one of my youngsters is constantly trying to mount its mum lol.only trouble is she is trying to mount the wrong end (poor mummy is not amused)
seriously though ,wanted to ask a question the sow that is in season is only 9 weeks old just thought this was a little young ,her sister has not shown any signs of being in season.my older girls were def older than 9 weeks .any thoughts on this ?
Sows can become sexually mature as early as 4wks of age. They are all different & where some do mount, chase etc. where others don't show any signs of being in season at all. :)

Reaction score
Actually come to think of it, our smallest sow doesn't rumble at all, so is that normal? does it mean she is alpha sow?

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Actually come to think of it, our smallest sow doesn't rumble at all, so is that normal? does it mean she is alpha sow?
Perfectly normal. Not all my sows rumble when in season. The alpha sow will be the one who puts others in their place or moves them from what she sees as "her spot." :)

Piggyologist

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of our girls (the least dominant one) sometimes tries to get on top of the other ones from behind and acts like a boar - the amount of noise they make is terrific :)

Last edited:

pusscat2

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi All,

We've had our two females for a few months now and they seem generally happy (see them popcorning regularly) and healthy.

One of them still constantly rumble struts though, which isn't a problem in itself, but I thought it would have settled down by now. They never seem to fight (although very occasionally there is some mounting) so I haven't worried about it.

Today I noticed for the first time that the other guinea is starting to rumble strut too, so now they are both doing it. Is this something I should worry about? They aren't hurting each other, but I don't know whether it's making them both stressed or not.

We've had them gender checked twice (once at pet shop, once by vet) so I'm sure they are both females :D

They get fresh greens everyday, but I'm wondering if they don't have enough to keep them entertained. They seem to ignore any toys we do put in though.

Thanks!
Hi if you are not sure that they are sexed properly by the shop go to a vet most of the time if it's for sexing with the nurse there is no charge. My vet showed me how to sex them, If you look at their bits the boys is like an i a line with a dot at the top the girl is like a Y shape. HTH

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.