Contemplating big move.

Sgboyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A series of events have occurred over the past few years and I am simy ready for a change. I'm in the US, but am seriously considering trying to get a job with our dept of defense (or dependents) and moving overseas. I'm interested in Belgium or France since I speak a little bit of the language, butbworking through our DOD will get me on an English speaking base at least until I'm more fluent in the language. I don't know if I have any job skills that will support that type of job, but before I start seriously looking, I thought I'd ask about moving with cavies.

I have four cavies and a cat. The travel part is concerning, yes, but what is it like finding housing with that many critters? I'm not sure what mynoptions are, but I just...need..a change.

Tigermoth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I live near the two big bases in Suffolk and I don't know what the base housing is like but I have had plenty of friends over the years that have lived off base (our village is popular) that have had various pets. Mainly dogs to be fair but I know the military family up the street definitely have guinea pigs.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
There are lots of threads on here about International's travel with guinea pigs.
The first point of call might be to contact a pet transport company in your area and ask what restrictions might be in place.
I know from personal experience that the UK has tighter restrictions than mainland Europe when it comes to importing pets, and you may find your animals have to undergo compulsory quarantine.

Sgboyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm fine with quarantine if it means I don't have to rehome them and can be reunited with them. I just know if I move abroad I will need to find cheaper housing or even a shared space. It doesnt make sense for me to rent big, and expend all my resources if I'm just going to have to come back to the US in a couple years (a family obligation).

The transport companies are the easiest component. Housing is the bigger issue.