• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cooing Noise When Breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluebottle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
One of my guineas has started making a gentle kind of 'cooing' noise. I noticed it today when she was eating some crunchies - it sounded like she was talking to herself - and it has carried on when she has laid down to rest. She does not appear to be in any distress, is not lethargic and appears alert and happy. She does cough regularly - by this I mean at least once or twice a day, normally when getting excited waiting for food.
Should I be concerened?

Dear Bluebottle,

I am hoping one of our health and illness gurus will pick this message up soon.

Guinea pigs do make cooing noises but what concerns me is that you guinea is making these noises when at rest too.

Personally, I think you should contact your vet as your guinea pig may need to be seen tonight . It may be nothing - or it may be a sign that your guinea pigs has a respiratory problem. The reason I say your guinea pig may need to be seen tonight is , if they have a health problem, guinea pigs can get ill quickly and it is best to nip problems in the bud.

Do you live in the UK?

Last edited:
Dear Bluebottle,

I am hoping one of our health and illness gurus will pick this message up soon.

Guinea pigs do make cooing noises but what concerns me is that you guinea is making these noises when at rest too.

Personally, I think you should contact your vet as your guinea pig may need to be seen tonight . It may be nothing - or it may be a sign that your guinea pigs has a respiratory problem. The reason I say your guinea pig may need to be seen tonight is , if they have a health problem, guinea pigs can get ill quickly and it is best to nip problems in the bud.

Do you live in the UK?
Yes, I am in the UK. The noises have stopped now - they don't seem to be there all the time and she seems happy in herself.

I would get her checked out if it is something she does on a regular basis. Is it a hooting type noise? and does the cough come straight after? What is she bedded on? are there any air fresheners in the room?

I would get her checked out if it is something she does on a regular basis. Is it a hooting type noise? and does the cough come straight after? What is she bedded on? are there any air fresheners in the room?
Not sure if it's a hooting noise - it's quite gentle. The cough doesn't seem to be connected. It seems to happen when she is excited - normally one cough, sometimes two.
They are bedded on shavings and hay and yes there is an air freshner in the room, but it's been there since we got them last year.

It could be excitement if it comes before food, but I would still get her checked just to be sure. Ask the vet to listen to her heart. She could also have dust from the shavings up her nose.

I hope she's OK. Please let us know how she gets on.

I would avoid using air fresheners near the piggies as it can irritate nasal passages and/or cause respiratory issues. Your best bet is having her checked by a vet, as it's always better safe than sorry. I hope she's okay! x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back