Cookie to the vet tomorrow....

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerina

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my new adoptee piggies isn't looking too good atm. You may remember my first thread about their slight head tilt - well, Cookie has taken a turn for the worst in the last 24 hours and is really struggling to stay upright. he also looks as if he has got an eye infection in the left eye.....

He is still eating well and drinking and pooping ok too - just not too keen on leaving the pigloo unless absolutely necessary. I have left him in his cage all day today to give him a break till our apptmt at 9.50 tomorrow....:...:...:...

Keep your fingers crossed that it is treatable.......he is really worrying me, this little piggly.......

xxxxxxxx

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Fingers firmly crossed for poor Cookie!

Please weigh him daily - eating can be deceptive if a piggy is not well.

tylerina

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks Wiebke!

OK - vet has given him one more week of Baytril and probiotics to try. He said his ears are very infected and it has probably spread in the last day or so hence the slight eye bulge. He didn't seem to think there was an infection of the eye itself.

He said Cookie's pupils are reacting to light but he is not certain he can actually see - possibly brain not converting what goes in.

If no improvement in the next week, he is to go back in for more tests and to have his ears cleaned out under slight sedation. He was weighed too which I hadn't done - 55 something....Oh Gawd, I am so stressed out I can't even remember half of what the vet said to me.... I was sweating like nobody's business. I had in the back of my mind that I wasn't going to bring him home.......

Vet did also say he could have been dropped early in life - if so, I am supposing there will be no huge improvement. It's a case of wait and see over the next few days I suppose.

Please keep my darling Cookie in your thoughts.....

tylerina

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Dare I say (without tempting fate...) that Cookie is a bit perkier today - only 24 hours after starting the Baytril! He is wandering around his cage a lot more and drinking loads too - even purred at my daughter when she stroked him lol!

Fingers crossed we will continue to see an improvement all week. He is booked in for his next check up next Tuesdsday anyway.

Guinea pig slave

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My special little girl has a slight tilt and had possibly been dropped or suffered head trauma before I adopted her from the RSPCA. Lots of vet visits and tests etc.
She leads a perfectly normal life, has a little cage mate (9 week old sow) and has positively bloomed over the past couple of months :(|)
Hope Cookie is back to normal very soon and send hugs from us all :)p

Reaction score
Dare I say (without tempting fate...) that Cookie is a bit perkier today - only 24 hours after starting the Baytril! He is wandering around his cage a lot more and drinking loads too - even purred at my daughter when she stroked him lol!

Fingers crossed we will continue to see an improvement all week. He is booked in for his next check up next Tuesdsday anyway.
Oh this is good news! Come on Cookie, you can do it!x>>

tylerina

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you for all the kind wishes friends! Cookie sends thank you wheeks!

He is still looking ok today - his swollen eye has definitely gone down a lot today and he even climbed over Oscar, his cage mate, to get to the other pigloo lol! Slowly but surely I am seeing little improvements....

I got him some special hay today and he loves it! x

tylerina

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Just back from the vet - saw senior vet this time tsk!

Tbh - he wasn't very hopeful for Cookie's long term health.....said his teeth are very badly overgrown and will be contributing to his not eating so well. Said he will need lots of TLC and good quality hay and grass to nibble on - which he obv gets anyway. When I asked about the possibility of getting his teeth rasped later when Cookie is a lot better, he wasn't too keen as he seemed to think he wouldn't cope with the sedation too well as he is so weak and small.....

He has given Cookie antibiotic ear drops to use for the next 2 weeks minimum. He said he has a nasty case of ear mites - one ear worse than the other. He swabbed his ear witha cotton bud and loads of black yucky stuff came out - poor little guy.

Even though Cookie is perking up in lots of ways, slowly but surely, I have left the vet surgery feeling really sad and close to tears. My poor baby - I just want him to be comfortable.....even if he doesn't have a very long life, I at least want what he has got to be pain free and comfortable...... :( It's the very least I can do for him......

tylerina

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=65799

This is my original thread.

the vet also said he will def have some permanent brain damage as he has obviously had this infection and been left untreated for so long......

I don't trust myself to go back to where I adopted them as I am not sure I will keep my temper atm....but rest assured, I will be going there when I am calmer (and less likely to blub...) to have it out with them and ask them exactly why they lied to me about them both piggies being seen by a vet and treated for 3 weeks with antibiotics - lying *******.........

I will also be getting my money back for the vet's fees from them. I don't begrudge one penny of it but if I CAN HIT THEM WHERE IT HURTS - IN THEIR POCKETS - THEN i MAY FEEL A TAD BETTER....

Last edited:

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good for you! Don't let the ***** get away with it!

In the last two weeks I have heard of 6 guinea pigs with the same problems as yours, all came from the Adoption Centres within a large national petstore - from different parts of the country, in additon to the 6, 4 other pigs sadly didn't make it and died very soon after being sold. When the owners of the dead pigs went to the store after the first death the staff rolled their eyes and said Oh, not another one! All received vet treatment via the store after the first death but it didn't save any of them.

All I can imagine is that the bulk breeder that is supplying and distributing GPs to this chain of stores has an infection that is going through their breeding barns and the ones that make it to the shop floor are sold quickly - or once they develop symptoms they end up in the Adoption Centre.

Shameful.

Suzy x

Status
Not open for further replies.