• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Corn?

NoodleOodle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Did you know guinea pigs could get corns on their feet just like humans when you first got one? I had no idea and I was terrified that there might be something wrong with him. I took him to the vet and they removed it and said I can fix it at home. All you have to do it cut it off and its completely painless to the guinea pig!

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like what you are referring to are spurs? Hard, dead skin that commonly grows on the feet?
Guinea Lynx :: Guinea Pig Feet and Foot Problems

You can trim these yourself but need to be very careful that you only cut the dead skin and not too close to the live skin which can cause bleeding and leave the foot open to infection. The majority of spurs do not need trimming and pose no risk at all. We generally only recommend trimming them if they are growing in such a way that they are liable to getting caught and tearing.

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes Jezzy floof has foot spurs on her crusty old feet, I usually leave them alone except I massage in a bit of Gorgeous Guineas foot cream once a week especially where the hard skin meets the soft skin so they don't catch and drag.
If they get too long I ask the vet nurse to trim them, it only costs £9 and then I know they will be trimmed safely, like with toenails I think its easy to cut too mutch off or leave a rough edge if you arent sure where to trim... and cutting too much off a foot spur could easily cause a wound that might get infected and turn into bumblefoot! Piggy feet are so delicate!