• Issues with online booking at The Cat & Rabbit Clinic in Northampton. Read more here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

coughing/ choking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midge&Panda

Adult Guinea Pig
Now we all now piggies like their food but is it possible for them to eat too quickly and get food stuck in their throats.? One of my little ones Maisie has on the rare occasion (when she's been eating) has been making a sound as if she is trying to clear her throat. Its sounds like a cross between a cough and a sneeze. As I said before I've only just noticed her doing it and it is a rare occurrence. Any ideas or a trip to the vets. Otherwise I have no health concerns with her she is doing everything a piggie should be doing. Thanks.

Cavy Corner

Junior Guinea Pig
I have noticed this occassionally here if some of the guineas are being given their favourite foods ( like cucumbers yesterday) and get really excited and try to gobble it all up too quickly.
Could it be this?

Midge&Panda

Adult Guinea Pig
I'm hoping it is, I will just keep an ear and eye open and if it gets worse then definatly a trip to the vets. she was doing it this morning while eating lettuce maybe because it is quite soft and she can shovel a lot more into her mouth at once, i will take note of when she eats her other veggies and see if she does it with the harder ons like carrot or sweetcorn. thanks

One of mine does it every day, the one time he was gasping for air for ages, i thought he was going to be starved of oxygen, it really scared me, he eats really quick, he loves his food!

Last edited:

helen105281

Forum Donator 2017/18
Gertie does it most meal times and a couple of the little ones have started now too.

The Pog Nation

Junior Guinea Pig
Bramble just did it right in front of me. Munching on hay at the time. She's just a greedy wee pog!rolleyes

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Now we all now piggies like their food but is it possible for them to eat too quickly and get food stuck in their throats.? One of my little ones Maisie has on the rare occasion (when she's been eating) has been making a sound as if she is trying to clear her throat. Its sounds like a cross between a cough and a sneeze. As I said before I've only just noticed her doing it and it is a rare occurrence. Any ideas or a trip to the vets. Otherwise I have no health concerns with her she is doing everything a piggie should be doing. Thanks.
My piggy sometimes does it too usually after drinking from his water bottle too quickly. Its kind of a cute sound like coughing or sneezing like a baby x

SDRB_TP

Teenage Guinea Pig
Don't panic. I have had this many times before, as one of my girls loves to scoff the food down as fast as possible so the others can't get to it. As you probably know, Guinea Pig's only have a 1 way digestive system, so if they get, for instance, a piece of broccoli stuck in their throat, the only way it can go is down.
Now, what you have seen is called Hiccups. Yep, hiccups. But of course much more vigorous than the human kind. It's where the body wants to be sick, but obviously isn't possible. It sounds like a hiccup/sneeze/cough, and can happen and repeat itself up to 8 times in a row! Sometimes they rock back and forth, and can even fall over by the sheer force of it. All you can do it talk to them calmly, and don't panic. It should pass over. :)

tylerina

Junior Guinea Pig
Yep - my 2 older boars have done it quite often - usually when cucumber is on offer!

Guinea pig slave

Senior Guinea Pig
One of my boys does this, almost like a cute baby cough. Scared the hell out of me the first time he did it and began chopping his food up to a near pulp mallethead Every time he has a drink from the bottle too he gives us a little cough but I don't worry too much now (think he likes attention as I always go over to him and make a fuss ^)) rolleyes

Guinea pigs <3

Senior Guinea Pig
My girls do this too, I used to worry that they were coughing but it is only when they are eating! They like to munch their veggies too quickly rolleyes

Mamaguineapig

Junior Guinea Pig
I actually noticed one of my piggies doing that for the first time today .... He was greedily eating cucumber at the time .

Status
Not open for further replies.