• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

coughing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Dr coughs a lot. This is nothing to do with his recent illness. He always has. the vet has listened to his chest so many times and says his lungs are fine, and he certainly didn't have any anaesthetic probs when he had his teeth done. Sometimes his coughs are really violent, but afterwards he just shakes himself and gets on with life. Any other coughing piggies out there?

The vet says his lungs are fine. Dr does love going under the hay a lot - I thought maybe he gets hay stuck in his throat, or because he has long fur a bit of fur?

what bedding do you keep him on? just looking at my books to seeif i can shed any light on this for you

that's really kind. I use newspaper, sawdust and hay. I know sawdust isn't that good but when I tried without it got so wet and messy.

You are going to find that sawdust is the reason why he is coughing. Is there no other bedding you could use? megazorb, carefresh, vetbeds. towels, newspaper and hay, you will find as soon as you change there will be an improvement. its the dust in the sawdust thats giving your piggy an allergic reaction. If you dont want to change then try woodshavings which is slightly bigger its still not a good bedding but it might help.

How about Vet Bed? That's a very good, comfy and easy bedding for piggies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back