• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

could a house mouse harm guinea pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katblack77

Hi all! I have moved to London and i have seen a house mouse on a few occassions. But my 8 guinea pigs are still in my old flat with my boyfriend back in belfast and they are all going to be moving over soon. I'm concerned that this or these house mice might harm by guinea's when they come over. I have bought some humane traps, and i'm too scared to set them up yet..need the help of my boyfriend as I don't think i could handle them once caught. I have also heard that when you catch them and release them they are probably going to die in the outside enivorment anyway. So stressed that they could bite my piggies.

feral rats can bite guineapigs and give them dieases. If it is possible, I would get rid of them as soon as possible. Better safe then sorry...

I would put poisen down so kill them there will be more than one. I know you do not want to kill them but easier to get rid of the problem before it gets worse. Once your piggies are in the house it will be harder to get rid of the mice.

I wouldnt poison them as i wouldnt chance any trace of poison getting anywhere near your piggies or on your hands just in case... Many an animal has died from accidents with rat poison etc...

If you have a humane trap then make sure you let the mouse/mice out somewhere at least 2-3 miles from your place... Mice have good homing instincts...

Also try and find where it/ they are coming in from then block it.. keep all piggy food in plastic containers and off the floor, dont leave any veg out overnight etc...

Mice are not animal biters to be honest... All they are concerned about is eating and reproducing... they are not as bold and carnivorous as rats

Hi, The reason mice are not good around other animals is they have no bladder control so wherever a mouse has been so has it's wee. We had a problem with mice a few years ago, we did use humane traps but it got to the point where we didn't have enough to catch them there where so many. We ended up having to put the dreaded poison down. They where going in and out of the hutch and eating the food and drinking the water, this was outside by the way. They ended up living under the felt on the hutch, cute but not if they spread illness to your beloved piggies. Good luck and remember they always say if you have seen one then there will be another 3 around ! Good luck @)

mice are not good for your home as well as piggies. They can cause considerable structural damage to your house which can add up to the thousands - as well as spreading disease and harming your animals

I would get rid of them as quickly as possible.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I have got a few humane traps and will put them down over the weekend.

i have seen a field mouse pinching my bunnies food before.mice can carry diseases and pee in feed soiling it.ewwy mice! sparrows frequent my guinea cages when they are out in the sun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back