• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Could this be fungal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My boys have persistent itching and also flaky skin, chunks of hair will come off their back ends when lightly tugged and at the root of these hairs there are flakes of skin. However, the skin above their shoulder blades up to their heads are flake free, it's worse near their bottoms.

I've treated them for mites yet they still have this problem, their hair has gone quite thin but doesn't have any bald patches. Around Barney's eyes he has pink patches as the hair has thinned out. They scratch quite a lot and bathing doesn't seem to help remove the scurf. Could this be fungal and how would I go about treating it?

Thanks.

Hi, this does sound like fungal, I personally use vetsect, you shampoo it in, leave it on for about 10 mins (wrap them in a towel) then rinse off. let them dry naturally indoors, dont hair dry. Hope that helps.

I do think fungal is a possibility, won't hurt to bathe them in an anti-fungal shampoo anyway. I find Nizoral shampoo (from the chemist) does the job safely and effectively.

You'll need to do weekly baths for three weeks for a full treatment "course" for a basic fungal issue.

When you treated for mites, was it 2-3 doses, each dose 7-10 days apart?

Laura - I gave them 2 doses a week apart. It didn't seem to make any difference.

Hi, this does sound like fungal, I personally use vetsect, you shampoo it in, leave it on for about 10 mins (wrap them in a towel) then rinse off. let them dry naturally indoors, dont hair dry. Hope that helps.

I do think fungal is a possibility, won't hurt to bathe them in an anti-fungal shampoo anyway. I find Nizoral shampoo (from the chemist) does the job safely and effectively.

You'll need to do weekly baths for three weeks for a full treatment "course" for a basic fungal issue.

When you treated for mites, was it 2-3 doses, each dose 7-10 days apart?

Dindy has exactly the same symptoms every so often and is treated with Nizoral, purely because it's the one I tried and it worked for her. Dindy came to us with a near fatal case of mites and fungal. The mites are long gone but the fungal rears up every so often.

When using Nizoral, how much of the shampoo do I need to use each time? Also, do I put the shampoo straight on to the pig or mix with warm water first and then apply? Do I need to leave the shampoo on for a set amount of time before rinsing?

Oh and is it just the normal Nizoral Anti Dandruff shampoo that I get? This seems to be the only one I can buy without a perscription.

When using Nizoral, how much of the shampoo do I need to use each time? Also, do I put the shampoo straight on to the pig or mix with warm water first and then apply? Do I need to leave the shampoo on for a set amount of time before rinsing?

Oh and is it just the normal Nizoral Anti Dandruff shampoo that I get? This seems to be the only one I can buy without a perscription.

Yes it's the normal Nizoral, mine is a 60ml bottle.

I tend to put a line of Nizoral from neck to bum on a wet Piggy in the kitchen sink and massage it in with the odd splash of water if neccessary. I then lift the Piggy onto a towell the sink drainer and work over the rest of the hair, taking as long as I can, leaving less time needed to make up 7-10 minutes. I then wrap Piggy up in the towell to finish off the recomended 7-10 minutes. While wrapped up I change the water in the sink etc ready for rinsing.

Here is a link to "How to Bath a Guinea Pig" I found it very informative.

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=47314

Talk to your Piggy to reassure them during all this as you may well have seen on many of the "bathtime Piggy" posts that they tend to get upset if you laugh at them thru this rather undignified process.

Yes it's the normal Nizoral, mine is a 60ml bottle.

I tend to put a line of Nizoral from neck to bum on a wet Piggy in the kitchen sink and massage it in with the odd splash of water if neccessary. I then lift the Piggy onto a towell the sink drainer and work over the rest of the hair, taking as long as I can, leaving less time needed to make up 7-10 minutes. I then wrap Piggy up in the towell to finish off the recomended 7-10 minutes. While wrapped up I change the water in the sink etc ready for rinsing.

Here is a link to "How to Bath a Guinea Pig" I found it very informative.

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=47314

Talk to your Piggy to reassure them during all this as you may well have seen on many of the "bathtime Piggy" posts that they tend to get upset if you laugh at them thru this rather undignified process.

Thanks ever so much! Very informative :) Just been and got some Nizoral, will be bathing promptly! :D

Bathed them yesterday and unfortunately they still seem to have loads of skin flakes and itchiness, when I go to stroke them they're jumping around and their hair seems to come out very easily :(

Don't panic, it won't go away with one bath. You need to bath them every 5-7 days for at least 3 weeks. Think of it like a case of dandruff, it needs a bit of regular treatment to clear it.
They are bound to be adjitated when you stroke their back end, it is very sensitive. I can tell the early stages of a flare up with Dindy when I stroke her and she loses some hair, then I know it's time to treat her again.
Patience and compassion will reward you with a healthy Pair of boys.
Hang in there Bradley & Barney, mummy's doing fine.

Thanks Dindy, I was getting so worried that I hadn't bathed them right!

They're my first pigs and although I've had them for a year I still have so much to learn. :)

I know this post was a long time ago now but just wanted to say thanks as I've been trying to work out for a little while why 1 of my ladypigs was displaying the above symptoms. Then about a week ago i noticed a small dry looking patch on the other piggy. I suspected it may be fungal so bought some Nizoral - this has now confirmed it and the ladies have had their first Nizoral bath this evening.
Hopefully with a couple more baths it will clear up ok and they will stop being itchy.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back