Craft

Herbs&Spice

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am going to make some cage liners, and i was wondering what to use as my middle absorbent layer. Wadding that is 50% bamboo 50% cotton or zorb original fabric. What do you think?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Zorb is a really good one. Just be aware it can be kind of bulky, but I would use that as first choice. I also use a waterproof mattress protector which also works well.

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Zorb would be my first choice. I made some pee pads using it but it was so expensive I couldn't justify using it in cage liners (I've got 3 big cages). I have heard bamboo is very absorbant (more than cotton) but I've not tried it yet. I use cotton mattress protectors from B&M or the Range, they work well enough, wash well and dry easily. The zorb pee pads take longer to dry than the cotton filled ones.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't comment on zorb as I haven't used it but I know a little about absorbent material from my little ones reusable nappies. Generally absorbability from least to most is microfibre, cotton, bamboo, hemp. However the speed it absorbs goes in the opposite direction with hemp taking the longest. I think a 50/50 cotton and bamboo would be nice and absorbent and not take too long so should still feel dry to the piggies