• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Craigs Eye Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig David

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hello people

Iv got craig out tonight and noticed on his pupil right at the edge it looks like he has got a little white bit on his pupil. Not sure what it is don't think its hay or anything. The area doesn't look red or sore. I'm going to go vets Monday but does anyone have any ideas? I thought fatty eye but it's like on the pupil itself so Prob isn't? Iv googled it and haven't seen anything similwr to it really.​

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
If the white patch is on top of the eye, it is mostly likely an ulcer from a scratch or a poke. Definitely a trip to the vets...

Craig David

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks wiebke damn it's the same eye as last time as well Iv got some fucithalmic drops from October I don't know whether put some in or do you think they will be out of date it says 2017 on. Iv jus took a pic to show you, please have a look I'll upload now x

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I am sorry, but it is very difficult to see and to guess what it is from your picture. It could still be the beginnings of an ulcer.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Best of luck! it is hopefully just a minor scratch that will heal as promptly as it has come on with the right eye drops.

Craig David

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Update: been to the vets. Vet isn't sure what it is at this stage (I use a good exotic vet). She said Whatever it is, is inside the eye, she thought could be fat but felt it wasn't in the normal place were the fat would be. Also suggested it could be a growth/tumour . Vet feels it isn't bothering him at this stage so just to monitor but if it changes to take him back for possible operation as last resort. I do worry because he's 5 now he isn't a young piggy anymore. I guess Iv just got to hope for the best. Iv googled and Googled and can honesty say I haven't seen anything similar to what craig has got.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Neither have I; it is also not in a normal spot for a cataract. I have several piggies who have either congenital or old age cataracts.

Fingers firmly crossed!

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
It's always wothwhile getting issues with eyes checked promptly just in case just it is an injury/infection that could, if not treated lead to loss of the eye. So well done for your prompt action - and hopefully I can set your mind at rest re your vets thoughts.
I too have had a similar issue with a couple of my oldies - white spots appearing on/in the eye towards the edges but weren't injuries. My vet has also diagnosed it as harmless fat. This was about 6 month ago and the spots haven;t grown any larger nor has their sight been affected.

Personally I'm not worrying about them - just monitoring for any signs the spots are getting larger.

xx

Craig David

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your thoughts really appreciate it. I'll keep checking him and any problems I'll be straight back to the vets. X will keep you all posted x

Status
Not open for further replies.