• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Creeping buttercup! - Help!

PiggyPoo

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve just read that creeping buttercup and moss is poisonous to Guineas pigs! It looks like my lawn is full of creeping buttercup!

My piggies have been out 3 days this week. 2 hours a day (twice) and over 4hrs today! Will they be ok? Is there anything I should do? Xx

Attachments

• 7DDE8468-D935-4707-B7A4-5CFFD7C49358.jpeg
    7DDE8468-D935-4707-B7A4-5CFFD7C49358.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 16
I’ve just read that creeping buttercup and moss is poisonous to Guineas pigs! It looks like my lawn is full of creeping buttercup!

My piggies have been out 3 days this week. 2 hours a day (twice) and over 4hrs today! Will they be ok? Is there anything I should do? Xx

Dig and rip the buttercups up as much as you can; I got rid of mine that way over the course of around three years with fewer coming up each year. Ideally you start doing this in spring as as soon as they get going so they cannot spread as much. The odd leaf is not deadly, but if they eat too much, it is going to cause problems. Moss is usually left alone as it doesn't taste good.
Ideally you treat your lawn this autumn. Grass should have been mowed three times before it is safe to feed to piggies after treatment.

Until then, please keep your piggies to a preferably buttercup-free area or just feed them lawn grass away from your lawn.

Thank you for your reply!

Looking at the patch of the grass they seem to have gone for most of the clover thankfully! So hopefully they’ll be ok! What problems should I be looking out for?!

I’m struggling to find a patch of grass without creeping buttercup/buttercups! I pulled the buttercups up before I realised about the creeping buttercup! If I mowed the lawn would they be ok to still have grass time? Xx

Thank you for your reply!

Looking at the patch of the grass they seem to have gone for most of the clover thankfully! So hopefully they’ll be ok! What problems should I be looking out for?!

I’m struggling to find a patch of grass without creeping buttercup/buttercups! I pulled the buttercups up before I realised about the creeping buttercup! If I mowed the lawn would they be ok to still have grass time? Xx

Creeping buttercup is called that because it creeps along the ground and is not touched by mowing. :(

Just keep an eye out for a piggy that is looking unwell, apathetic and off its food. A piggy needs to eat a fair amount though but toxins can build up over a summer.

I had loads of creeping buttercup in my garden when I moved here about 6 years ago. I just pulled it up, and treated the lawn. The trick to pulling it is to get the roots - they are long and white, so are really easy to see. It's very therapeutic as you can start pulling up one bit, and the roots go on for about a foot, or onto another plant, so it's easy to get up a lot at once. The roots tend to grow quite shallow , so they will come up quite easily. I rarely get it now, but when I do, I just pull it up. It's fortunately one which responds well (or badly, if you're a buttercup!) to feed, weed and moss killer, and as @Wiebke says, as long as you cut the lawn a few times before you let them back out, all is well. I wouldn't worry too much about the odd bit though, just keep on top of it, and it will soon disappear. I also weed through the fence into my neighbour's to try and get it before it gets to my garden.

I had loads of creeping buttercup in my garden when I moved here about 6 years ago. I just pulled it up, and treated the lawn. The trick to pulling it is to get the roots - they are long and white, so are really easy to see. It's very therapeutic as you can start pulling up one bit, and the roots go on for about a foot, or onto another plant, so it's easy to get up a lot at once. The roots tend to grow quite shallow , so they will come up quite easily. I rarely get it now, but when I do, I just pull it up. It's fortunately one which responds well (or badly, if you're a buttercup!) to feed, weed and moss killer, and as @Wiebke says, as long as you cut the lawn a few times before you let them back out, all is well. I wouldn't worry too much about the odd bit though, just keep on top of it, and it will soon disappear. I also weed through the fence into my neighbour's to try and get it before it gets to my garden.
Thank you! I’m totally clueless when it comes to gardening! What do you treat your lawn with and how do you do it? Xx

Ideally you weed when the ground is nice and moist so the roots come up easily and cannot regrow. Just follow the offshoots along the ground and you will find others. I would recommend that you water the lawn before you get started (ideally not in full sun) about half an hour before you start pulling buttercups up in a patch so the water has filtered through and softened the ground in dry weather.

I agree with @Reenie - pulling up buttercups is a very therapeutic activity!

Thank you! I’m totally clueless when it comes to gardening! What do you treat your lawn with and how do you do it? Xx
I use feed weed and mosskiller, which you sprinkle on the lawn. It doesn't start working until it has been well soaked, so if it doesn't rain, water the lawn really well when the sun has gone down (if you water in the sun, you run the risk of scorching the lawn). I usually just put the treatment on when it's shaded and water right away. Keep watering for a few days to make sure all the formula gets washed in. In about a week you'll see any moss going black, the weeds wilting and the grass getting really lush. Give it a good rake to get as much of the dead moss and weeds out as you can, then cut as usual over the next few weeks. After 3 or 4 cuts you'll have a gorgeous lawn, full of thick grass which your piggies will love. You can get the treatment from B&Q, bigger supermarkets, B&M, and it's not too expensive. Don't be tempted to put too much on though (the box gives a guide). It's not a case of more is better.

Great thank you for your advice! I’ll get started on Wednesday as I’m at work tomorrow!

I might just put a thin fleece on the lawn then the run over the top as it’s a nice day again tomorrow and it’s cooler on the grass for them under the shade. I’m at work so I don’t want them indoors all day! Xx

Feeling disappointed with the fleece today, I hand picked them some grass to cheer them up 😊 Not sure if they were impressed or not?! 😂😂😂

Attachments

• 47696168-D815-4643-9DEE-1DE1ED3F9B20.jpeg
    47696168-D815-4643-9DEE-1DE1ED3F9B20.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 1AB2FA49-4DAA-4846-A6D0-6B4CB24CC52D.jpeg
    1AB2FA49-4DAA-4846-A6D0-6B4CB24CC52D.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 10
  • F7237452-CFA8-4464-A574-AB7B3101E854.jpeg
    F7237452-CFA8-4464-A574-AB7B3101E854.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DC69FA14-4950-4540-929E-530B63317569.jpeg
    DC69FA14-4950-4540-929E-530B63317569.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 11
I go over to the park to get long crunchy and soft grass which they really seem to enjoy. I always make sure there's no chance of dog or Fox wee by cutting it in areas which are inaccessible or too high.

You’re right pulling up creeping buttercup is so therapeutic! I’ve almost got it all 😊👍🏻 I'm a bit disappointed that there’s not much left now 😂 xx

Back