• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Critical care

Hselsby

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi my guinea pig recently got diagnosed with digestive issues and won’t eat so I’ve been given two 36g packs of critical care to feed her. The vets directions are to give her 3-3.5 tablespoons daily but didnt say how many days to feed her this and if I follow the instructions I only have 2 days worth of it to feed her. Just wondering if anyone has any advice that can help me as I don’t know how much to give her daily or when to stop feeding her it. Thank you

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi my guinea pig recently got diagnosed with digestive issues and won’t eat so I’ve been given two 36g packs of critical care to feed her. The vets directions are to give her 3-3.5 tablespoons daily but didnt say how many days to feed her this and if I follow the instructions I only have 2 days worth of it to feed her. Just wondering if anyone has any advice that can help me as I don’t know how much to give her daily or when to stop feeding her it. Thank you
Hi!

How much you need to support feed depends on how whether your piggy is still partially eating or completely off their food. You monitor the food intake by weighing daily at the same time in the feeding cycle. Hay makes around 80% of the daily food intake but you cannot control the actual intake just by eye.

Not having any background information whatsoever, I cannot comment on why your vet has given you as much as they did.

Please take the time to read the following information guides. You may find them very helpful. Our comprehensive syringe feeding guide includes a chapter with guidelines on how much and how often you need to feed depending on the scenario. It also includes an overview of available support products and practical feeding tips with video.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

All the best!

Hselsby

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

How much you need to support feed depends on how whether your piggy is still partially eating or completely off their food. You monitor the food intake by weighing daily at the same time in the feeding cycle. Hay makes around 80% of the daily food intake but you cannot control the actual intake just by eye.

Not having any background information whatsoever, I cannot comment on why your vet has given you as much as they did.

Please take the time to read the following information guides. You may find them very helpful. Our comprehensive syringe feeding guide includes a chapter with guidelines on how much and how often you need to feed depending on the scenario. It also includes an overview of available support products and practical feeding tips with video.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

All the best!
Thank you so much for the help, she was eating fine yesterday I just haven’t seen her willingly eat any nuggets today only vegetables and I’ve now been told she can’t have any at all until the bloat is down so it’s even more difficult to get her to eat as I can’t tempt her with her favourite foods.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hay is the most important thing for them to eat. All else is snacks.

PS I didn’t mean to be abrupt or short! I was on a webinar break! 😊

Last edited:

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help, she was eating fine yesterday I just haven’t seen her willingly eat any nuggets today only vegetables and I’ve now been told she can’t have any at all until the bloat is down so it’s even more difficult to get her to eat as I can’t tempt her with her favourite foods.
Hi!

Please read our bloat guide and the syringe feeding and emergency/crisis care guides. They contain all the practical information of how you manage a crisis that I cannot repeat in detail every time. If she is in discomfort from the bloat, then her appetite will suffer. if you feel like you want to stretch the recovery formula or don't have any at home, you can mush up pellets with warm water and mix in some recovery powder and a generous dose of probiotics. But in this case, you need to cut off the tip of the syringe just below where it widens to allow the rougher fibre from the pellets to pass through but still hold the plunger in. The pellets also provide a more familiar flavour, which can help a little with acceptance. The links will give you more information.

Unfortunately with major bloat, it is going to be a round the clock battle to get enough fibre into her to keep the gut going and help getting on top of the overgrowth of bad bacteria (dysbiosis) and to encourage the right digestive bacteria to come back up again and take over.
Our piggy whispering tips, plenty of cajoling, praise, symphathy and chivvying will help with the fight to get food into a piggy that is not feeling like eating at all. Feed every two hours during the day, as much as you can get into her and then every 3 hours (i.e. once or twice) during the night. Severe bloat happens in waves and it can be quite a protracted battle unfortunately.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips