• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cruel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggy Persona

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Afternoon all – I am after a bit of tailored advice as I am struggling to get an answer on via the old “Google it” method or searching the forum. I appreciate there are similar threads, but I would like to start my own for this.

I am an experienced piggy owner of around 10 years, owning 8 along the way and I have been through most of the common piggy issues. Now, unfortunately our beloved Kili passed away suddenly yesterday evening (a few days short of his 3rd birthday) I do not know what happened for him to die so young and he showed no symptoms of ill health so it came as a bit of a shock…he was a long haired pig and it did seem the last week his hair had become shorter? Hmm…

I am very worried about his brother, Fili, now our only pig left. Of all the pigs I have owned these two were absolutely inseparable, we struggled to gain much companionship with them as they were just so attached to each other. Usually, I would introduce a new pig for a mate but we have decided that we want to take a break from ownership for a while and so Fili will be our last.
My issue is…is it cruel to keep him alone now, bearing in mind his massive attachment to his now suddenly deceased brother? He has a large space to himself 24/7 and is very well treat, he actually has his own room in my house…everything a piggy could need but now he is alone. I and my partner work full time and I am thinking of him now being all alone in the house right now …

When I found Kili had passed, he was still warm and had been checked less than 2 hours before the find…Fili was not near him and I do wonder, does he even know he is dead? His spirits do not seem overly dampened which I am amazed about, he is just constantly roaming…is he looking for his brother? Should I show him that he is dead…? (to be buried tonight)

So, my burning questions here are..
1- Is cruel to keep him alone? With zero attention during the day until we get in from work
2- Should I make sure he knows that his brother has passed…? That might seem like a stupid thing to say, but I do wonder if he is even aware and if he is not, should I make him aware?
Thank you

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I can't answer the second question I'm afraid but I would say it would be unfair for him to be on his own as he would get very lonely.. Could you maybe do the guinea pig dating and see if you can find a piggy of similar age? So sorry for your loss x

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am very sorry for your loss. A heart attack or a stroke can happen right out of the blue at any age and leave a loving owner reeling. :(
You are most welcome to post a tribute to Kili in our Rainbow Bridge section any time that feels right for you.

How is Fili coping? Is eating and is he OK in himself? If not, you will need to get a new companion quickly to stop him from acutely pining.

How old is Fili? Would you consider contacting North East Guinea Pig Rescue to find a companion of Fili's liking, so you do not start a new seesaw, but he has companionship for as long as he needs? This rescue is now running a pioneering companionship service for bereaved piggies, which means that the new companion reverts to the rescue after Fili's death to then find his own forever home. It would be the perfect answer for your dilemma! ;)
https://www.facebook.com/NegprNorthEastGuineaPigRescueAdoptionPage

Piggy Persona

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies - excellent advice offered.
Fili seems fine, no issues at all really aside from not wanting to be handled which is not normal for him. He is also 3 years old in a few days time..they were together from birth. He was the more dominant brother and that may help, he seems a strong character.
The NEGPR sounds like a fantastic idea and is something I will look into tonight

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
So, my burning questions here are..
1- Is cruel to keep him alone? With zero attention during the day until we get in from work
2- Should I make sure he knows that his brother has passed…? That might seem like a stupid thing to say, but I do wonder if he is even aware and if he is not, should I make him aware?
Thank you
1) Given (most importantly) zero attention during the working day and the fact that there are no other piggies at all that he can interact with via sounds etc (even if in a different cage) -then I would suggest you need to find him a friend (even if in a separeate cage)
2) Some pigs need to know - some others don;t really care. There is always a spectrum of responses and you will know what best to do for your own piggie.
I've seen partners responding to a death (because they were blind and lost their "eyes") in an extremely traumatised and heart-breaking fashion
I've also seen others not really care and start to try and eat the ears of their former partmnrs (Gross!)

I have several lone piggies for health reasons - but they are in a room full of other piggies and can interact.
It sounds like your piggie will be compeetely and totally on his own... Thereforre He will needs another friend - not necessarily bonded - but he needs another piggie to talk to through the bars.
HTH
x

Status
Not open for further replies.