• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Crust on Guinea Pig’s nose?

vmendoza

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, my guinea pig lulu seems to have crust on her nose and it’s peeling. She also seems to be sneezing and I’m not sure if this is some allergy or something else. I’ve had her for almost 2 weeks now and she seems to be fine. I’m just worried since I’m a new guinea pig owner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 10
I would check with a vet. Could be the start of an URI. It looks kind of like cheillitis. I know I spelled that wrong sorry. Hopefully someone will chime in soon.

I had a piggie with something like this some years ago. She was very young and it seemed to come and go over a couple of weeks The vet advised that it was a fungal infection and prescribed something to swab clean and treat it (Which Caramel hated). Once it cleared up it didn't return

Hello, my guinea pig lulu seems to have crust on her nose and it’s peeling. She also seems to be sneezing and I’m not sure if this is some allergy or something else. I’ve had her for almost 2 weeks now and she seems to be fine. I’m just worried since I’m a new guinea pig owner.

Please see a vet promptly for cheilitis (lip infection), which can be potentially fatal.
Take your guinea pig off any fruit and tomato; the acid in them causes tiny cracks in the skin that then germs can in through: bacteria, fungal or microbes. Fruit and tomato should only be very occasional treats, but you want to take any piggies with cheilitis off them for the rest of their lives and feed fresh herbs and veg high in vitamin C instead.

Here is more information:
Guinea Lynx :: Cheilitis
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Back