• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Crusty round eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

4piggiepigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
what could this be i have tried to clean in with cooled boiled water but it is hard and there may be some slight hair loss the eye looks ok it is only underneath the eye

There can be a few causes, one that comes to mind first is ear mites. Have a look at the pigs ears, inside and out, look at the folds in the ear and see if the ears are waxy/dirty, or if there is any grainy sugary type residue beneath the ears.

Sometimes an 'allergy' type problem can be to blame e.g. bedding (sawdust/woodshavings), dusty hay.

She's actually not my pig but her owner gave me some daktarin so i guess she know's what it is, she said to pull any infected hair out and to pick any scab's tho i havent yet i have applied the cream, how to i pick the scab's off i tried cleaning it firmly with couled boiled water but nothing came off

I've also noticed something like this with Athena lately. Occasionally I have noticed that her eyes water a bit and this seems to lead to crusties building up just under her eye, kind of like human "sleep".

It doesn't look like she has ear mites and she was just recently treated for mites for an itching issue.

Does anyone know how to remove this stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back