• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Crying sound

Gingerspider

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've just come home and my little rescue boar, Len is making a really weird noise I've never heard before. It sounds like he is whining or crying.
Hes been to the vets today to have his nails clipped and a spot of something on his neck as he's been itching a lot. (Not sure what as the other half took him)
Hes looking very sorry for himself and crying and itching a lot.
Never heard anything like it. Anyone got any ideas?

Not when weeing or pooing, just constant. My partner went with him today for a health check and all was fine. This literally started in the last half an hour. Sounds a bit like whooping, sort of whimpering.
Can't take to the vets until the morning. I wonder if it's something to do with the stuff they put on his neck?

We got him in as an emergency and vet has given him some loxicom. She said there isn't anything in his chest but his breathing is rapid. We think he may have hurt his throat/nose but no idea. Going to have to wait and see.

I am glad you've had him seen. Hopefully the loxicom will relieve him from any pain. Did the vet diagnose him with mites? Mites, especially mange mites where the mites burrow under the skin can be very painful and uncomfortable

I am glad you've had him seen. Hopefully the loxicom will relieve him from any pain. Did the vet diagnose him with mites? Mites, especially mange mites where the mites burrow under the skin can be very painful and uncomfortable
Didn't diagnose him with anything at this appointment but gave him invermectin thus morning for the itching. He does sound like he is in pain bless him. Hopefully the loxicom (and the huge bit of banana it was hidden in) start to help along with the invermectim. We lost our dear Kurt earlier this year in a very similar way after a trip to the groomers and honestly, can't cope with another heartache.

Thank you. He was still itching a lot when I came in. He's now back in his cage doing that awful rocking motion Kurt did when he was ill. Hope to god its not the same thing because that was the worst week. Never found out exactly what it was.

You know, the more I listen, the more I'm wondering if he has something stuck in his throat. He was making a weird purring noise whilst eating and he stood up to have a go on his Chew and it was like a smokers cough/wheeze when he straightened his neck. Its hard to describe. I've had piggies with pneumonia before and doesn't sound like that but his breathing is very loud. The loxicom hasn't done anything yet by the looks of it. Vet said oxygen levels looked fine and he's eating and drinking normal but just weird how quickly it came on. If he has got something lodged, should we look to get it loose?

Good news is this morning he seems himself. He was wheeking for breakfast and it pottering around. Haven't heard any more of the weird noise either. How long does the invermectin take to work usually? We have bought some more for our other piggie just in case even though they are in separate cages but we are going abroad next week so will have to let the boarders know.
Also my partner only just told me the vet did see a mite on him and said it was hay mite season so could be that?

Good news is this morning he seems himself. He was wheeking for breakfast and it pottering around. Haven't heard any more of the weird noise either. How long does the invermectin take to work usually? We have bought some more for our other piggie just in case even though they are in separate cages but we are going abroad next week so will have to let the boarders know.
Also my partner only just told me the vet did see a mite on him and said it was hay mite season so could be that?

Ivermectin is part of a course - that is three separate treatments with a two week gap between each treatment. (first treatment kills the live mites present at that time but it wont kill any eggs, the second treatment kills the eggs that were present at the first treatment but have now hatched so will be caught by the second treatment, and the third treatment makes sure they are all gone).
When you say you bought some more, was it one prescribed by the vet? Any mite treatments from a pet shop are too low dosed to deal with mites.

Hay mites themselves are so tiny that they arent actually visible, you can only see their evidence (bald patches, excessive scratching, egg casings on the back end)

If he has mites, then you will need to replace your hay and deep clean your cages ideally using F10 (a vet grade disinfectant)

New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights

Thanks everyone. The vet didn't prescribe any more for Len (the poorly one) but recommended we buy the same one for Martin (xeno, I think) . Martin had a similar issue a few months ago and one dose did do the trick. No bald patches or dodgy skin just itching.
I still think he might have got something stuck because of the weird hoarse noise that's now gone. I'll keep an eye on them both for the next week for sure. Our boarders are experienced animal rescuers so I'm confident they will spot anything whilst we are away.

A nice update (as it's always good to have one) Len has been fine today. No more weird noises or breathing. When we let him out for floor time this evening, he was zooming and popping like a silly boy and did the loudest wheek for dinner 👍

When ivermectin (xeno) is applied it kills the mites pretty rapidly but they spasm as they die and unfortunately this can cause a frenzy of itching. This might be what has happened to your poor lad - especially if he was carrying a heavy infestation. It's upsetting for poor piggy and upsetting to see.

The second dose in 2 weeks time will kill any eggs that have hatched - the 3rd dose 2 weeks later will find any escapees. Treat companion piggy as soon as you can so he doesn't harbour any mites too - ideally it should be at the same time. Blitz the cages out after a day or so.

When you do the second dose you might have another scratching frenzy but hopefully it won't be so bad, and by the third dose there shouldn't be anything. I would do it in the morning because by the evening everyone is a bit tired and emotional 💕

Thanks so much. That certainly does explain the itching and the whining noises. Not sure why it might have effected his breathing but fingers crossed whatever that was has buggered off too!

Back