• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Currant Bun Hot Spots on Ears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello guys,

My gorgeous boar Currant was at the vets last week as I noticed one of his ears was very hot and a bit puffy - I think he might have scratched it. Now the vet gave him a course of antibiotics, which I gave him for just over a week and indeed his ear returned to a normal temperature and the swelling went. What was left was a bit of a scab, which I put some benpanthen on. Literally the next day I noticed that the other ear had a tiny patch of peeling skin, and today the originally hot ear - is hot again. Like two hot spots - I only noticed because I was kissing his ears. None of his cage mates are affected.

Now I'm going to take him back to the vet tomorrow, but am a bit dubious because I feel like they have obviously missed something.

I have had the unfortunate experience of a fungal infection before (ringworm) but I don't think it is that. However, there is that ever so slight white bloom - but it is so slight... I just want to get the right treatment for him. I hate it that he's not quite right (and including the check after the antibiotics it cost me £52 pounds for the privilege of them getting it wrong)!

Should I suggest the vet thinks about a fungal infection - or perhaps I should go elsewhere?

He's such a lovely piggie, I'd hate for anything to get worse for him.

I guess I'm thinking aloud really - has anyone got any ideas... ?

It is normal for the ears to be warm at times, but for just one ear to be, and the ear to be swollen as well, I agree something is not right.

My first thought is fungal. The heat is what struck me and led my thoughts to fungal. Treatment would be an anti-fungal cream (Daktarin Cream, Daktarin Gold cream, or Canesten 1% cream) applied to the ear 2-3x daily until at least three days after all signs of an infection have cleared. Ideally I would also give at least one full anti-fungal bath (if there is no sign of fungal elsewhere on his body; if there is any sign that it is on his body, then weekly bath for 4 weeks would be advised).

It is possible that mites could be involved, although I do suspect fungal is the most likely. Either way, it is possible to treat for mites and fungal at the same time with a particular time schedule, I'll root around some of my past posts if you're interested.

Oh thank you - that is sensible advice. What would you suggest I bath him in? I guess I should bath everyone else too. I do have the gorgeous guineas stuff but it is now out of date.

Regarding bathing - how to get round his face without getting in the eyes - I will look at the bathing piggies post...

Thank you very much for the reply - I get so worried about them! xoxo

Last edited:
I've just applied some canesten 1% to Currants ears and noticed a kind of dandruffy bit just above his ear - it's tiny, but I know these things can quickly get out of control... do you still advise the fungal route?

Sorry to keep going on!

You've no need to apologise at all. :)

I still advise the same as before, give him a really good wash and provided you don't find any patches on his body, keep up the routine of applying it to his ear. For bathing, personal favourite here for fungal pigs is Nizoral, but Alphosyl is another good one.

Ok - I shall try that. Thank you so much for your help.

I don't relish the thought of bathing my four boys - still it could be fun, bless them :))

It is interesting bathing them, some don't care, others.....well others do care, shall we say? :))

Good luck, happy to help if you need any more advice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back