Curved Nails

roddiebear

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!

It’s my first time posting here, so hopefully I’ve got the right place. My Boars are really hard to nail trim, and Bear squeals and pulls away like you’ve just cut his toe off so it’s really difficult! I noticed that his claws are curling and that he’s walking on the side of the claw, so after asking some advice I tried to clip them right back. Easier said then done when Bear is acting the way he is!

The photo is from before I clipped them, and I will continue to take a little bit off over the next few days to get them back but to make it more manageable for Bear. But will his nails and toes ever straighten out again?

Thankyou! 113655

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello!

It’s my first time posting here, so hopefully I’ve got the right place. My Boars are really hard to nail trim, and Bear squeals and pulls away like you’ve just cut his toe off so it’s really difficult! I noticed that his claws are curling and that he’s walking on the side of the claw, so after asking some advice I tried to clip them right back. Easier said then done when Bear is acting the way he is!

The photo is from before I clipped them, and I will continue to take a little bit off over the next few days to get them back but to make it more manageable for Bear. But will his nails and toes ever straighten out again?

Thankyou! View attachment 113655
Hi!

Curly and even tightly twisted nails are fairly normal as your guinea pigs age.

If you struggle and are in the UK, consider having the cut by vet nurse against a small fee.

roddiebear

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

Curly and even tightly twisted nails are fairly normal as your guinea pigs age.

If you struggle and are in the UK, consider having the cut by vet nurse against a small fee.

Thankyou! Bear is only around 12 months old, so do you think it will worsen with age? I want to see if I can sort it now so my poor boy isn’t uncomfortable.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thankyou! Bear is only around 12 months old, so do you think it will worsen with age? I want to see if I can sort it now so my poor boy isn’t uncomfortable.
He is not uncomfortable but the nails are definitely long enough to need cutting.
Some piggies have genetically curlier nails than others; at the tightest, they can be a real pain to cut. I had just one of them to service myself earlier this evening... :(

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Yes my 6yr old sow also has these kind of curly nails. She’s not the easiest piggy for nail trimming either! XD She doesn’t appear uncomfortable with them as they’re regularly trimmed.

roddiebear

New Born Pup
Reaction score
He is not uncomfortable but the nails are definitely long enough to need cutting.
Some piggies have genetically curlier nails than others; at the tightest, they can be a real pain to cut. I had just one of them to service myself earlier this evening... :(
I’ve given it another go tonight- definitely shorter than they were but they are at such a bad angle to cut and poor piggy screaming doesn’t help! I will attempt to just file them slightly to , to make them even

The2musketeers

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have to clip my piggies nails often because they are curlier than most and will catch on fleece. I will give her hay while I clip her nails and it really helps!

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes my 6yr old sow also has these kind of curly nails. She’s not the easiest piggy for nail trimming either! XD She doesn’t appear uncomfortable with them as they’re regularly trimmed.
My old boar when he was 6 - 7 years old, had very twisty nails

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve given it another go tonight- definitely shorter than they were but they are at such a bad angle to cut and poor piggy screaming doesn’t help! I will attempt to just file them slightly to , to make them even
Human nail clippers are much easier if you havnt tried them yet.

5StarPigs

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Maybe you could ask another person for help to hold him while you cut the nails? This makes nail cutting way easier for Alfie.